Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-03-2003, 04:15 PM

Default Mix Tricks

I'm doing a top 40 rock alternative type of band and need a bit of guidance from the community here.

It's very much in the realm of Incubus's popular stuff (wish you were here, drive), Goo Goo Dolls newer stuff, Our Lady Peace, etc.

I'm trying to get the drums to be big and poppy while still having the guitars huge as well.

Also as far the vocals go there is a lead vocal and two harmonies (3 part). I have the lead vocal panned dead center and the harmonies at 3 and 9 o'clock respectively. The vocals just aren't lush sounding like you would hear on a big label CD. Should I copy the lead vocal to another track and pan it left and another trakc nad pan it right so there's 3 of the same vocal in different spectrums?

I've already done about 10 mixes on this one track and although I'm close here I just can seem to get it to the point that I'm really happy with everything.

Thanks for any and all advice on this.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Mix Tricks

How were the vocals recorded?
Old 01-04-2003, 04:48 AM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

Most bigger albums use vocal layering to get that lush sound...
Old 01-04-2003, 06:34 AM

You could dbl and triple track yourself singing with the vocalist...and then make copies of the original vocal tracks and use VocAlign to conform the copies to your performance. ( without ever using your singing in the mix)

The newly conformed audio sounds as if the artist did multiple tracks. This can work really well sometimes.

R
Old 01-04-2003, 08:20 AM

This may seem obvious but when you record and mix drum tracks and guitar tracks they are in the same frequency range, except the kick. If you don't make room for one or the other by cutting like frequencies they will fight for the same frequencies and neither will win. If you have a waves PAZ plugin look at the frequency they both live in, if it is the same one or the other must be cut or boosted to allow room for the other. As for the vocals lets examine what you are telling us since we can't hear it we are going by what you say. first of all compression, too much compression and the track will sound small and almost under water (pumping and breathing) Too little and your dynamic range becomes more than the system will allow and that forces you to place the track to low. I genneraly use something like a Hardware focusrite ISA or Manley to get at least some of this on the way to the box. next I use a number of aux's from that track and use small amounts of different reverbs and delays on the aux's. not alot of anything sometimes not even to an audible amount you just have to listen to the track to see what it tells you. remember audio is a living breathing thing if you stangle it it dies if you don't take care to see that the track has spectaral space it will loose it's way always be aware that if two instruments are ocupying the same frequency range whether guitars voices keys etc. they will get lost if you haven't made room.
Once recorded commpression on the vocals is again key. It takes practice and sometimes the ability to get away from a project even for a few hours to see cearly whats going on. After several hundred albums I still find new combinations and tricks every day. remember the tracks will tell you if they're not happy....just listen.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:22 AM

By pookadilly

Quote:
I'm trying to get the drums to be big and poppy while still having the guitars huge as well...The vocals just aren't lush sounding like you would hear on a big label CD.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hello. If you are trying to get a 'big label CD' sound, what is your situation like? What gear do you have? Who is running it and how much experience do they have? Remember, big labels spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to track, mix and master with the absolute best the market has to offer. If you are trying to achieve that with a project studio setup, it is not going to happen. Can you get good results? Absolutely. Will it sound like a CD that cost $250K to produce? No. On the other hand, if you got great musicians and top notch engineers to track, mix and master in a project studio, it would sound a million times better than the average joe. So it's not just the gear. To be fair, there is some stuff nowadays that gets done for big labels by big names that sound pretty bad in my opinion, but that may be what the label asked for. Crap is selling, so crap we sell. So I would say it depends on the gear you have available, and the experience and expertise of the people that are using it. Results vary in different situations with different individuals. But the old 'you get what you pay for' axiom generally applies here. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2003, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Macomber:
You could dbl and triple track yourself singing with the vocalist...and then make copies of the original vocal tracks and use VocAlign to conform the copies to your performance. ( without ever using your singing in the mix)

The newly conformed audio sounds as if the artist did multiple tracks. This can work really well sometimes.

R
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">great idea!! here's how we can double the vocal without inviting the vocalist to studio again. very clever!
Old 01-05-2003, 10:29 PM

R[/qb][/QUOTE]great idea!! here's how we can double the vocal without inviting the vocalist to studio again. very clever![/QB][/QUOTE]

Yeah, we wouldn't want the artist in there screwing things up...
Old 01-06-2003, 05:26 PM

Just for the record I have Apogee special edition converters, an Amek/Neve frontend (channels from the 9098i via the Purepath Channel In A Box), excellent mic's, all monster studio pro or M series cabling, Coleman Audio M3PH passive monitor switch box, Mackie HR824 and Yamaha NS10m monitors, Marshall JCM900 Lead series head with a 1960a 4x12 cabinet, Pearl Masters series drumset with Zildjian A custom cymbals, etc.

As you can see the gear list is all top of the line without actually spending $300k on a console (don't have that kind of scratch after investing in all of this).

It's getting there. I've been playing with these two tracks for about 5 days now all day long. Very tiresome, but they are sounding a lot better. I was very frustrated when posting before. Actually what I ended up doing with the vocals was I eq'd them a lot and compressed them heavily. I also bus'd the lead vocal to 2 different tracks and panned those at 3 and 9 o'clock respectively. Fattened it right up. Just what I was looking for. Put a nice warm plate reverb on them too (though I don't like too much reverb on the vocals since it's alternative/rock music and all).

Anyway, just wanted to keep up with my post and thank all the people who responded. Anymore mix tricks please post them here. We'd all like to read them and try them in our studios.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:30 AM

some time ago , here was a thread about mix tricks that was 20 pages long .