How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2023, 01:58 PM

Default upgrading to studio

Hi
I have a TDM accel 3 system im looking to upgrade to a Studio subscription.

I have a Lynx Auorra 16 converted I plan to install the thunderbolt 1 into.
the computer is going to be a m2 of some kind. similar to below

(https://www.ebay.ca/itm/404420208204...Bk9SR7DK58_AYg).
my software will be Protools studio

I will be using Audent asp880 via aes/ebu out connected into the Aurora at the same time.
I have a bunch of waves plugins as well as PSP and Lexicon which im pretty sure will work, but someof my fav plugins are the URS stuff, which arnt up gradable (as I under stand)

before I spend all this money, I;m hoping people could chime in to insure I;m on the right path. Any thing to consider?

many thanks
Old 08-18-2023, 03:12 PM

Default Re: upgrading to studio

The Lynx/Thunderbolt have drivers with Apple Silicon support, but this hardware is getting old and how long does Lynx support divers for I have no idea..

The ASP880 provides AES/EBU output you can feed to the Lynx, but it's on an DB-9 connector so you'll have to arrange a suitable DB-9 to DB-25 cable.

Lexicon... aka Lexigone don't have native Apple silicon support so you have to run them in Pro Tools under Rosetta today. Lexicon has promised an update with Native support, which I sure would not hold my breath for. I'd be working to get far away from that company. In contrast say Eventide had all their stuff running Apple silicon native early on (years ago). This thread (and the Avid plugin page linked from it) is the bible of plugin status. Ideally you want all your plugins Apple silicon native. PSP I think are there with Apple Silicon support but you can check yourself.

There are many threads on DUC about buying M1/M2 computers. Watch out because memory and SSD are not upgradable, but as much as you can afford. You can run boot, samples, and sessions off the internal SSD, not need for dedicated drives. Do not listen to claims that you can get away with a lot less memory on an Apple silicon vs Intel system. And you will likely need a lot more memory than you are used to. I have no idea what you are using this for, but I'd personally not buy a system with less than 32GB and 2TB internal SSD.