Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-11-2013, 11:03 AM

Default Re: HD system inter-compatibility & Pro Tools 11

No, because TDM cards are not compatible with PT11. However the 192 interface is compatible with PT11, but you will need HDX or HDN for it.

TDM cards can go up to PT10.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat.m View Post
I am trying to use my computer as a "glorified tape recorder", So for me it makes sense to find hardware and software that I like and then set everything to NEVER update.
If that's what you want, then just go for it and grab old HD TDM cards and old (blue) Digidesign interfaces to get as many i/o as you need, and really never think about upgrading. Because upgrades are not happening past PT10.

Good news with this thinking is, that you probably can grab that gear dirt cheap and it is really just as useful as it was before PT11.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Hey guys, so there is soooooo much [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] on these topics throughout the net that it is confusing those of us who are just getting into AVID hardware. So lets clear this up once and for all.

PLZ, if you are guessing, don't post.
I have personally used PTHD11 with a 192 IO so I know that it works without any issues. This was with a Mac Mini and HD Native Thunderbolt interface.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:39 AM

[QUOTE=

BUT...

Only the new Avid branded interfaces and HDX cards are supported with PT11 and future releases, so if you plan ahead you should only buy Avid branded gear.[/QUOTE]

INCORRECT! PTHD11 works just fine with 192 interfaces. I have personally used this setup a number of times using the thunderbolt HD Native interface with Digilink mini to Digilink standard adapters.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response!

Please take no offence to this, but what is your source on the compatibility of the different cards and I/O? gotta ask cuz im considering putting some considerable funding towards buying an avid HD system and I want to be absolutely sure that im not screwing myself over.

Also, I Know that AVID isn't "supporting" the old hardware with Pro Tools 11, but once again I state the fact that one of their own people says that they haven't done anything to cripple the old interfaces; so I guess the better question here is: what problems might I run into if I try using old AVID hardware with new protools?

Furthermore: what key features (I don't really care about the upgraded audio engine or the reformatted pluggins) will I lose if I elect to use Pro Tools 10 (which does support old hardware) over Pro Tools 11.

Thank you so much again (and in advance

,PM
Please note that PTHD11 DOES work fine with the old hardware (192).
Old 01-07-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artysan View Post
Please note that PTHD11 DOES work fine with the old hardware (192).
Old EXTERNAL hardware. 11 and up DO NOT work with old HD cards(cards are also considered "hardware") I am also using a 192 in my current setup with HDN card and a pair of HD IO boxes. Completely effortless, other than the day it took me to configure the digital IO to do what I needed(it seems a bit non-intuitive, so once I got things all working, I save screen captures of everything for future reference).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-07-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Old EXTERNAL hardware. 11 and up DO NOT work with old HD cards(cards are also considered "hardware") I am also using a 192 in my current setup with HDN card and a pair of HD IO boxes. Completely effortless, other than the day it took me to configure the digital IO to do what I needed(it seems a bit non-intuitive, so once I got things all working, I save screen captures of everything for future reference).
Yes, you are correct. The HD Accel cards do not work with HD11. The interfaces do.