Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-06-2006, 01:03 AM

Default Protools Q\'s coming from Logic..

Am relatively new to PT LE 7.1 (MBOX) on my G5 dual 2.3 4Gb RAM Mac as ive been a Logic 7 user, although the MIDI seems to be better on PTLE 7.1 so am starting to play with it, however coming from Logic on the Mac and Soundforge on the PC, i just have a few newbie questions as i try to get the hang ot it (must say that the Audio in PT is great!)

1. When i create a midi part in PT, i can then change it to a reigion "block" so i can move it around better, but how do i switch it back to the piano roll to re-edit the notes later on?

2. When importing movies, is there a set of shortcut keys that can advance/step-back through individual frames when zoomed right in? so i can say put a marker on say, an exact "gunshot" or sound effect??

3. I always worry about cluttered audio files, and back up files (coming from PC!) so is there anyway that you can tidy up and delete unused "dead air" at the start of samples that i have chopped etc, and not have loads of different file names clogging up my system fro differnt audio & midi? as the reigions list seems to "keep" every new edit, file and MIDI part that you create -

4. Is there a simple way to turn Quantize OFF in Midi parts so you can play a more freehand appraoch?

5. Can you import CD tracks direct from a CD in the drive in PT? in Soundforge you can extract Audio from CD and "burn" the audio into the edit window direct from cd?

6. How do i get Multi-timbral Native_Instruments Plug ins like Kontakt, Colossus, to open one instance, but play on different MIDI channels in PT? is this easy?

Sorry agin for so many questions but as you know, when you start a new DAW, there are some things that are simple, and others you were used too that you can't find in a new program!

I would love to use PT for everything as the MIDI has improved!! Roll on.. Realtime looping/pitch shift in the edit window!!!

Thansk again!
Old 11-06-2006, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Protools Q\'s coming from Logic..

Quote:
1. When i create a midi part in PT, i can then change it to a reigion "block" so i can move it around better, but how do i switch it back to the piano roll to re-edit the notes later on?
you can ungroup region groups (it's in one of the menus, and i think the cmd shortcut is ctrl-alt-u) - you can also change the track view from notes to blocks and back again.

Quote:
3. I always worry about cluttered audio files, and back up files (coming from PC!) so is there anyway that you can tidy up and delete unused "dead air" at the start of samples that i have chopped etc, and not have loads of different file names clogging up my system fro differnt audio & midi? as the reigions list seems to "keep" every new edit, file and MIDI part that you create
use the strip silence feature to clean up blocks; then, if yr brave you can select "select unused" from the regions menu (on the top of the regions list on the right hand side) and then "remove selected". there's a bunch of "optimize region" operations in there if you're feeling brave, some of them are destructive and others just remove the regions from the list.

Quote:
5. Can you import CD tracks direct from a CD in the drive in PT? in Soundforge you can extract Audio from CD and "burn" the audio into the edit window direct from cd?
if you find a way, let me know

Quote:
6. How do i get Multi-timbral Native_Instruments Plug ins like Kontakt, Colossus, to open one instance, but play on different MIDI channels in PT? is this easy?
i've heard it's easy, but i don't know how

--dan http://remaincalm.org
Old 11-06-2006, 05:39 AM

I feel like in tdm/hd you can burn from a cd without first putting it on disk.. Not sure in LE... As for one instance of an instrument playing off different mid tracks... Open it on an aux or an inst track, then create multiple midi tracks and set all their outputs to the plug you want to control

The Note Music
www.myspace.com/thenotemusic
Dual 2.0Ghz PPC 3gb Ram, Digi 002R
Old 11-06-2006, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Use the normal "Input Audio" commands and select the CD tracks right on the CD, works fine for me.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:

if you find a way, let me know
Apple+Shift+I (Import Audio) is the easiest way. Also, in your Window tab, select Workspace. In there you will see all of your mounted drives. The CD will show up in here. Select the track you want to use and drag it into your Edit window.

•Pro Tools 12.6 (x2)
•OSX 10.11 & 10.12
•Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (x2)
•16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (x2)
•HD Native PCIe (x2)
•HD Omni (x2)
•192 i/o
•96 i/o
•4 Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
•Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI)