Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2003, 02:05 PM

Default Quantize Question

Ok Im gonna feel like a big idiot for asking this question if it can't be done. Alright well, what I want to do is be able to take my drum tracks that I recorded(not loops of any sort) and match it up with the grid perfectly. Now my drummer is not all over the place, actually he is on very well. I just want to make it so it matched up perfectly. So there can be cleaner edits/cuts. I know I can start of by using strip silence on the kick and snare, and quantize those regions after that. But Im afraid if I do that then it wont sound right since ive got overheads and a room mic and they're both one big region and the hits might not match up that well. I hope you guys know what Im talking about. Please help me if you can. Take Care. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Quantize Question

anyone [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 03:01 PM

Yes.. you have to define your tempo.. if he played to a click.. that should be easy. Group all the drums in an edit group. Duplicate the playlist for the drum tracks.. then start cutting and quantizing every 1/8th note from the top of the song to the end.. it's more time consuming on LE without the command key commands that are available in PT6LE and TDM systems.. but you should be able to do it in 2 to 4 hours depending on the tempo, length of song and his performance. QuicKeys on the Mac helps wonders.. I haven't tried QK under XP.. it worked "okay" under Win2K.

You'll have to use the tab to transient function and the quantize audio function.. and after quantizing pull out the front of the region(s).

Pro Tools will get bogged down if you try to create too many regions.. so every 8 to 16 bars build crossfades and consolidate the tracks.. then remove unused and continue.

..pretty soon he'll sound just like the drummer in Disturbed [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 02-12-2003, 08:57 AM

Hey thanks for the info! Anyway, I had a few questions. So when I start cutting on every 1/8th note, do i put it in grid mode for that? That seems logical. And as for the tab to transiant and quantize audio functions are they in LE? Im assuming that the quantize audio function is "Quantize Regions" because I havent seen a "Quantize Audio" function. I also haven't seen the "Tab to Transiant" function either. I have LE v5.3.1 ....thanks much!
Old 02-12-2003, 06:58 PM

The Tab To Transient button is in the upper left area below the Grid, Slip buttons. On the Mac Command+0 is quantize region.. I don't have my PC here.. but I believe it's Ctrl+0.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••