Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2020, 12:05 PM

Default Coreaudio problem Catalina

My new computer went to sleep while protools was open. Ever since the only playback engine available is aggregate io. My setup is new Mac Pro 16 core , 10.15.5 UA Apollo 16 Protools ultimate 2020.5. Was working great before this incident for weeks. I’ve reinstalled pro tools twice and the UA software also with no luck. The only available engine is Aggregate. Any suggestions greatfully received!
Old 07-18-2020, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Coreaudio problem Catalina

So does the interface show up in Audio MIDI setup and work outside of Pro Tools? If not it's just a driver issue, and with all this reinstalling my guess is you are not granting the UAD driver security permissions when you install it, so they never actually install.

Or are you saying Built-In output (or equivalent in your Mac) does not show up as a playback engine option? Literally only Aggregate? What does Audio MIDI setup show is in the aggregate, and show for all interfaces on the system? Screenshot of that might help.

Your new computer also needs to be optimized properly for Pro Tools so it does not sleep... but its hard to imagine what it sleeping would do that requires a Pro Tools or driver reinstall. Normally a reboot and trashing prefs would solve most issues.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-18-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:06 PM

Oh it's a newCheesegrater, so plug in headphones to it and check the headphone output show up in Audio MIDI Setup and as a playback engine in Pro Tools.
Old 07-18-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundworks UK View Post
My new computer went to sleep while protools was open. Ever since the only playback engine available is aggregate io. My setup is new Mac Pro 16 core , 10.15.5 UA Apollo 16 Protools ultimate 2020.5. Was working great before this incident for weeks. I’ve reinstalled pro tools twice and the UA software also with no luck. The only available engine is Aggregate. Any suggestions greatfully received!
Everything else working as it should?
I ask because I had a pretty bad experience related to wake-from-sleep not so long ago, and I did find other reports on the web of similar.

I quote my entry in a thread on Macrumors.com:
I've had the worst crash ever with Catalina. In short, I one day turned on "enable computer sleep when displays go to sleep" in sys prefs, and on first wake-up it crashed and rendered my boot disk unbootable. I was backed up, I restored, and I was ok. I've never enabled that option again, and everything's fine. There are many reports about this wakefromsleep-problem.

I hope your problem is not like mine was, and you find a fix, but I felt I had to mention it.
I think sleep is not necessary on a non-battery mac anyway.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:04 PM

I haven't had a signature here for years, but I guess sometimes it's a good thing to have, so I created one.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I haven't had a signature here for years, but I guess sometimes it's a good thing to have, so I created one.
Or you could put your system info on your profile page with a line in your sig file saying that your system info is on your profile page. I know there's a way to create a hyperlink/html code text line so all people would have to do is to click on the line and be taken there. Don't know how to do that though or else I'd have it as well.

edit for additional:
After trying a few different ways of doing hyperlinks and finding nothing that worked I found this method: in the 'edit signature' screen of your profile highlight the text you want to make a link and then click on the 'insert link' button in the edit window and insert/paste the link to your profile and hit 'save signature' and it should work. If not let us know.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 07-19-2020 at 04:32 AM. Reason: added text on how to make a hypelink
Old 07-19-2020, 04:34 AM

I wonder if this wake from sleep thing is due to the new security features in Catalina? You know - the one where you have to enable the microphone to use your own audio interface?

QAPLA!
Old 07-19-2020, 10:22 AM

Sleep has never been supported but curious why a reboot doesnt fix things
Old 07-19-2020, 10:59 AM

Hi, thanks for the suggestions so far. The Apollo interfaces are working fine outside of pro tools and show up in audio midi setup and audio prefs. Ableton also sees Apollo via coreaudio , just not pro tools. The only available playback engine is Protools aggregate io. Not even built in output. I’ve already checked the mic access in security and it has it. There doesn’t seem to be a clean uninstalled for pro tools otherwise I would have tried that. I’m considering reinstalling the OS but would rather not if I don’t have to as EVERYTHING else is working fine. I tried plugging in some headphones but that didn’t help. I’ve uploaded a screenshot of the AM setup page. Appreciate your help so far, Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E626D530-C91E-4379-B200-9AE84B94BE45.jpg (42.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-19-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundworks UK View Post
Hi, thanks for the suggestions so far. The Apollo interfaces are working fine outside of pro tools and show up in audio midi setup and audio prefs. Ableton also sees Apollo via coreaudio , just not pro tools. The only available playback engine is Protools aggregate io. Not even built in output. I’ve already checked the mic access in security and it has it. There doesn’t seem to be a clean uninstalled for pro tools otherwise I would have tried that. I’m considering reinstalling the OS but would rather not if I don’t have to as EVERYTHING else is working fine. I tried plugging in some headphones but that didn’t help. I’ve uploaded a screenshot of the AM setup page. Appreciate your help so far, Simon.
Have you tried holding down the 'n' key on your computer keyboard when starting PT? That will allow you to select your audio interface. PT hasn't had an uninstaller on a Mac in ages. There are steps to do a manual uninstall somewheres on the Avid site.

QAPLA!