Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-30-2006, 07:54 AM

Default Broken audio file, how to repair?

There was show recorded with my PBook with PTLE. I've used an external LaCie Fw. For some reasons the Fw connector went partially out, then a message saying that the disk was damaged. When I pushed the stop button, there have been a kernel panic. So I had to reboot. There are two audio files that probably have not been closed properly when the connector went out.

I see the aiff icon and the size seems correct (about 380 megs) but I cannot import it in PT. Even when I select it in the finder there is no quicktime cursor to hear it.

Someone has a solution to recover it?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Broken audio file, how to repair?

Find someone using Adobe Audition (or Cool Edit Pro--it's old name before they sold it to Adobe). Open the file as a raw file. At the moment I don't remember if the LSB or MSB is first so try both options--you'll know when it's right. Then all you'll need to do is edit out the metadata at the begining (Audition will treat all data in the file as audio) but this is easy because it's fairly obvious what's not audio. Then save the file and you're ready to import into PT.

"I bent my wookie"
Old 05-30-2006, 02:45 PM

Thanks for answering. I just don't have Cool Edit Pro. This is PC app I guess.

Using Resorcerer would probably help isn'it, maybe I should compare a good file against this one...

Adobe Audition isn'"t a shareware I think.

Does exists a shareware that can do that?

Thanks again
Old 05-30-2006, 02:59 PM

The program Peak lets me open files with errors. Usually, if the system crashes during recording, Peak will tell me there's an "end-of-file" error when I try to open the file. If I click through the error messages, though, it will open the file. Then I select the audio from the top, and through to the end of what looks like usable audio. Don't try to select the material at the end of the file!

Then use the "crop" command, which discards any material you haven't selected. Then I do a "save as..." under a different name, then trash the original file just to get it off my drive, since it could screw the Finder up.

If you selected the material right at the beginning of the file it should play correctly the way it was recorded when you import it into the session.

good luck--
Old 05-30-2006, 03:38 PM

Thanks for your reply bashville.

If I can get trough all those messages then crop the file, even if I loss a couple of seconds, I'll be happy with that!

Thank you for the reply!