Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2004, 08:50 PM

Default Re: OT: hurricane chuckles

How is everybody doing down there. You sent us rain for the next couple days with flooding everywhere.

Nikki K, where are you, in the dark?

Praying for your safety...
Old 08-13-2004, 11:28 PM

I hope all of you guys, and Nikki, are safe.....check back in with us when you get a chance.
-Roy
Old 08-14-2004, 06:48 AM

It might be a while...power in most of the area in the southwest of florida where it landed is expected to be out until late next week!
Old 08-14-2004, 07:40 AM

heard from my inlaws in Orlando this morning and everything seems to be alright around Orlando as far as they have ventured this morning. They mentioned there were 109 mph winds last night when it hit town though and all the power went out and the backup generators had to come on in the hotel they stayed at. My brother in law told me that a tree nearly missed his car by 2 spaces in the lot also, so I imagine there is a bit of damate. I can only fathom the thought about what that thing was like when it hit the west coast of FL and hope and pray that everyone is alright out there. Well, I am off to call a few more friends down there this morning and check in.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:18 AM

Well here it comes our way after crossing Florida and getting back into the water...
Old 08-14-2004, 09:30 AM

Well guys, I'll be away from the board for a few days....my sister's roof was blown away...along with a few trees in the backyard. Heading down there in an hour or two to help out. See y'all sometime next week. I don't know how much time I'll be spending in Orlando...but if anyone in the area could use a helping hand or two (an extra chainsaw and two pair of able helping hands) feel free to give me a ring while I'm down there. (225-572-6330)
Old 08-14-2004, 09:43 AM

Later Chris, be safe.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:51 PM

Hi!
Using some battery power for this...

Made it thru, pretty damn rough day yesterday.
Winds of 120+, sustained winds around 90-100mph.
We need a new roof, along with some repairs outside here and there. Hurricane shutters worked really well...except one on the triple window on the front- it kinda flew away. About a 100lb piece of metal. Have not found it yet...

Trees that were decades old, ripped from the ground, or split in pieces, sorta like lightning struck (but no lightning here- no char marks).
The damage done is simply incredible. Island people are cut off from returning, if they have anything to return to. Punta Gorda got it the worst I think, and the town following it- Port Charlotte- between the two towns, 3 hospitals got torn up. One shelter had the roof come off, and they had to evacuate during the hurricane, over 1000 people fleeing while 120+mph winds are blowing.
Most heart wrenching story was of an elderly couple that stayed because the last resports they heard [redicted the storm hitting around Tampa, and due to the husband suffering from illness, they would have needed assistance to get out. The sotrm collapsed their house around them, crushing both to death. Add to that the damn media bugging people AT THEIR HOMES, as they return or crawl out of the rubble, crying their eyes out, simply because their home is rubble around them.

Off to check on neighbors!
We had no deaths in my neighborhood, and all but one person are pulling together to get thru this crap.
Soon as power is back...
Thx for the replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:46 PM

Nikki, all the best.

The last time we had a hurricane up here in TO was 1954, so while I can sympathize, I can't really comprehend.

I'm waiting now for the reports of people trying to surf and windsurf in the bad weather.

Be well,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-14-2004, 09:20 PM

Holy Cripes! I can't even begin to imagine what 100+ mph winds would be like. All I can say is, hang on and best of luck. We're all thinking of you.