Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 06-03-2005, 09:12 PM

Default SOUND REPLACER: worth its while?

Hey Everyone,

I'm considering investing in Sound Replacer to aid me in the drum dept. I was hoping to get a little feedback from my fellow digi users on whether or not this plug-in is worth its while. $400 seems a bit steep, but from what ive heard on a few recordings, I love its results. So... is it easy to use? Effective, even with leakage in the overheads? ..What do you say?? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
awk
Old 06-03-2005, 09:25 PM

Default Re: SOUND REPLACER: worth its while?

IMO Sound Replacer is no longer top dog. I paid $400 about a year ago, and now wish I hadn't. My major complaint is that it puts some samples in the wrong place, and you have to manually fix it.

My suggestion would be Drumagog. Since I've got it I haven't touched Sound Replacer and I might even be selling my i-lok license for it soon.

TL's Drum Rehab is supposed to be really good also.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:17 PM

My advice would be to try the demo of drumagog first. I've heard that it produces some untolerable latency. Sound Replacer has saved my arse a few times. I like it a lot. It is extremely easy to use and yes it works great even with leakage from the overheads.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:00 PM

Click here and Read this thread

Soundreplacer should be replaced itself. Drumagog, Drum Rehab and ApTrigga all blow it away even with any bugs, anomolies and having to use the VST to RTAS wrapper from FXpansion.

I use ApTrigga (a VST plug) through the VST wrapper from FXpansion. Works great, no noticable CPU usage, nice filtering functions, nice sample blending functions, stable and works in real time with the track. Soundreplacer is audiosuite; not very easy to audition sounds when you can only use the audiosuite preview button or process a test section. Yuck! It's much easier to use one of the others that work as a plugin and make adjustments in realtime while the whole session plays.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:29 AM

Thanks for all your replies. I will look hard into the alternatives you guys suggest.

I am most interested in TL's Drum Rehab
How much is it going for??

thanks again,
awk
Old 06-06-2005, 01:20 PM

Better yet... where the hell could I buy this thing. Every site listed as a dealer appearently doenst have it. It says it was released May 05'... isnt it June? If any of you have it, please let me know where you found it. This bad boy looks sweet! It may just be what I've been looking for.
thanks,
awk
Old 06-13-2005, 01:15 AM

I use Sound Replacer with excellent results. The other programs may be easier and better for you, but SR works very well for me.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:26 PM

I prefer to get the best drum sound on the way in....but.....here is a case in point.

Grindcore band, drummer has itty bitty gretsch kit...i mean the freakin florr tom has its own stand. Just to tell ya how small it was! Picallo snare , and the kick was like 18"s!?!? Needless to say, that drumm kit against 2 half stacks and a SVT were NO MATCH!!! I knew this from the get go. I had to use SR and a multi band comp on the sr file just to get the drums up to par...

There is no match for a great kit in a great room.....but i guess thats what DFH is.....

rock

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com