Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 08-27-2019, 04:05 AM

Default Are we not due an update??!!

Are we not due an update in August? 19.6 did not really count as that was really a few bug fixes and if Avid think it did, then we are due one in a couple of weeks in September.
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 08-27-2019, 07:37 AM

Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

What it is in your setup that is so broken you are in a need of an update?

Sure, updates come every now and then but if your system isn't broken then break it and shout louder
Old 08-27-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post

Sure, updates come every now and then but if your system isn't broken then break it and shout louder
The money he already paid?
Old 08-27-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
The money he already paid?
Wat? If you have paid X amount of money and have 0 problems, what it is to be fixed? Just sayin' updates for the sake of updates is nonsense.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:

1. amagras' answer
2. ARA
3. Fix sample rounding issue with midi (yes it not just audio)
4. Update midi functionality maybe some midi fx - the midi is competent but it is 'clunky'
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

Old 08-27-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxes View Post
1. amagras' answer
2. ARA
3. Fix sample rounding issue with midi (yes it not just audio)
4. Update midi functionality maybe some midi fx - the midi is competent but it is 'clunky'
Exactly. Midi sample rounding bug has been there since pt12, heard from people going back to 11 for reliable midi work at all tempos. I reported it to Avid, exchanged several emails with a session and video clips. They were supposed to report it to their programming team and get back to me. Guess what. They never got back to me. It was over 2 months ago. The fix isn't happening. If it was easy to fix, they would've fixed it already in 2019, or even 2018.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmkb View Post
Exactly. Midi sample rounding bug has been there since pt12, heard from people going back to 11 for reliable midi work at all tempos. I reported it to Avid, exchanged several emails with a session and video clips. They were supposed to report it to their programming team and get back to me. Guess what. They never got back to me. It was over 2 months ago. The fix isn't happening. If it was easy to fix, they would've fixed it already in 2019, or even 2018.
Can't say that I've seen what you're talking about wrt MIDI sample rounding but then again I don't work in MIDI clips (yeah I went back and read through the 8 page thread you and a couple of others posted to). I just make my timeline selections and move things about as I need to - quick & painless AND I don't have to worry about missing notes.

As far as updates and not bug fixes - ARA doesn't do anything for me. What I'd like to see built into PT is Ircam time/stretch. I know it can be done in UVI Falcon but how about it as just a separate plugin? That way I don't have the cpu overhead that would be wasted working inside Falcon.

MIDI fx? Meh. If I can't play it in correctly I just have to keep trying and not rely on a program routine to do the job for me. Sequences & arpeggios? I play 'em in manually thank you very much. Then copy/paste as necessary. I like the human element when it's done that way. Drums being one of my instruments helps a great deal with timing.

QAPLA!
Old 08-27-2019, 10:40 AM

ARA could be nice.
Melodyne at 96khz is almost too slow to use
Video engine / quicktime / Multi (beyond 2) display recall
All have some issue.

All in all 19.6 is pretty solid
Old 08-27-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Wat? If you have paid X amount of money and have 0 problems, what it is to be fixed? Just sayin' updates for the sake of updates is nonsense.
We are not just buying, we are paying a subscription over a perpetual license we already paid for! Why would people do that if it wasn't to get new features and updates on a regular basis? That's what we were promised and so far Avid has fallen short in more than a one occasion, put on top that they doubled the price way after the deal was sealed.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Can't say that I've seen what you're talking about wrt MIDI sample rounding but then again I don't work in MIDI clips (yeah I went back and read through the 8 page thread you and a couple of others posted to). I just make my timeline selections and move things about as I need to - quick & painless AND I don't have to worry about missing notes.

As far as updates and not bug fixes - ARA doesn't do anything for me. What I'd like to see built into PT is Ircam time/stretch. I know it can be done in UVI Falcon but how about it as just a separate plugin? That way I don't have the cpu overhead that would be wasted working inside Falcon.

MIDI fx? Meh. If I can't play it in correctly I just have to keep trying and not rely on a program routine to do the job for me. Sequences & arpeggios? I play 'em in manually thank you very much. Then copy/paste as necessary. I like the human element when it's done that way. Drums being one of my instruments helps a great deal with timing.
How we all create music is different & personal to the creator particularly depending on what style & type of music we each create, so the midi sample rounding bug is a real issue for many.

I play more than one instrument, but modern forms of music have evolved, some even have been born because of technology (DnB, Dubstep....). We use fx, plugins (audio & midi) & computers creatively in ways many either don't try, can't be bothered, cannot do or are not interested in, so we can experiment and push creativity in new & fresh ways. Music, particularly in this modern age is expressed more widely with those who were born before & those who were born in an age with the use of computers in music......there are rules but there aren't any rules in creative expression.