Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 03-29-2015, 03:10 PM

Default Upgrade from PT10 to 11 Help Needed--Current Product Not Registered

Hi All--

This is my first post to the forum, so please forgive me if it's in the wrong place. I did my best to search for what I need before I posted, but I couldn't find anything that completely matched my situation.

SHORT VERSION

I'd like to upgrade my current version of PT10 to PT11 AND move it to a different Mac than the MacBook Pro it's currently installed on (I want a dedicated PT machine with more RAM, full compatibility, etc). However, I don't have a license number/product code/activation/registration number/whatever the proper term is for my copy of PT10.

1) How can I accomplish this, for the $199 fee I understand it will cost to upgrade from PT10 to PT11? I hesitate to buy the upgrade before I know it will work.

2) I've never registered my current product on the Avid website. Do I need to? If so I think I have a problem.

Some history...

About three years ago I purchased a used copy of PT10 from a private party off Craigslist. I received the box, installation guide, intro book and installer/drivers/audio loops discs. No Activation Card (I'm assuming there was one, but maybe not? I'm VERY confused on that point). I met the fellow at a coffee shop, we each logged in to our respective iLok accounts (I set one up for this express purpose) on our laptops and did an iLok license transfer before I paid him. I took PT home, set it up and have been using it casually as a hobbyist since--it's worked fine, the iLok license was transferred and it's been smooth sailing.

As mentioned, I never registered "my" copy of PT10 with Avid. As part of this now-massive upgrade process I created an account on the Avid website, but of course no products are listed there in my account, and I don't know how to register the version I do have, since I have no Activation Card. DO I NEED ONE, in order to upgrade to PT11 (for $199, as I understand it)? If so, how to I get the info I need? I can't find any numbers in Pro Tools itself on my Mac, and I'm not too excited about paying $40 to make a phone call to Avid's customer service line.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Upgrade from PT10 to 11 Help Needed--Current Product Not Registered

The upgrade just needs to see the Ilok license, so you're good to go.

Just make sure you create an Avid account. BOnce the upgrade is done, the installers for 12, 11, and 10 will be placed in your account for download (12 may not be there right away).
Old 03-29-2015, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Upgrade from PT10 to 11 Help Needed--Current Product Not Registered

That's great news! I was really worried there--thanks for a quick reply.