Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2005, 01:03 AM

Default \"Necessary access privileges\"?? WTF????

I have a G4/1.25 running PT le in OS 9 and Panther (ver 6.4)

I open a session in 6.4 (that was created in OS 9) to use the TCE tool. It won't let me perform the operation and it gives me this message: Unable to create new audio file on drive "PT Drive" because you do not have the necessary access privileges (-5000)

Any ideas how to get around this? There is only one user on my machine, I checked the disk allocation and it's set properly.

Any ideas?
Old 02-09-2005, 03:09 AM

Default Re: \"Necessary access privileges\"?? WTF????

Did you try repairing permissions (Disk Utility -> select system disk -> repair permissions)

If that doesn't work, try creating a new OSX user with admin privileges, and see what happens. Something might have corrupted in the user account you were trying before.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 02-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Avid

Hi,

it's likely that the ownership and permissions for the drive or possibly the session folder need to be reset, the -5000 error can occur if the drive is set to "no access". Select your drive, go to file>get info. Under Ownserhip & Permissions make sure you can "read & write". Expand the Details section and make sure that you are the owner for the drive and access is "read & write". You may need to click the lock icon in order to unlock these settings for editing.

Hope this helps,
Digidesign Technical Support
Old 02-09-2005, 12:01 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a shot!
Old 02-09-2005, 11:00 PM

Okay.... Now it won't even let me save the session. First off, the machine is very well-maintained and I regularly run "repair permissions". I checked the ownership and everything was "read and write".

So is my only option now to create a new user and re-install PT? That would be a drag.

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-10-2005, 08:58 AM
Avid

The -5000 error almost always indicates an ownership and permissions issue. Unless you somehow have the wrong version of the TCE plug-in, double check ownership and read & write access. In some cases, even a drive that you're are not using with Pro Tools can cause this problem so make sure you check these settings on every hard drive. Are you also having problems with audiosuite in this session?

regards,
Old 02-13-2005, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Hi,

it's likely that the ownership and permissions for the drive or possibly the session folder need to be reset, the -5000 error can occur if the drive is set to "no access". Select your drive, go to file>get info. Under Ownserhip & Permissions make sure you can "read & write". Expand the Details section and make sure that you are the owner for the drive and access is "read & write". You may need to click the lock icon in order to unlock these settings for editing.

Hope this helps,
you will probably need to also tick the box that says " Apply to enclosed items"

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 02-14-2005, 12:03 AM

Do you guys think I might need the same solution as Dopamine? I posted a question a couple of days ago but I got no responses, any help would be appreciated

my question
Old 02-14-2005, 10:32 AM

Update: upon further investigation, I notice that the problem has to do with the specific FOLDER I am using. For some reason, PT won't let me save the session to the existing folder. However, it lets me save it anywhere else on the drive. So I just saved it to another folder, quit the session, then manually moved it to the correct location.

Also, the problem is not specific to that session. It has to do with going for OS 9 to X. When I start a session in 0s 9, then move to X, it records all new audio files (or AS renderings, fades, bounces, etc.) on the root of my drive (not in the appropriate session).

I took all the advice above (except for creating a new user). Has anyone else noticed this bizarre behavior?
Old 10-17-2011, 02:29 AM

Default Re: "Necessary access privileges"?? WTF????

Yes - and I still haven't solved it! Very frustrating!

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=274505

The short form of the post is that I can't 'Save As' or 'Save Copy In' any given session that originally was created on an external drive 'A' to a secondary internal drive 'B' without getting the -5000 error when opening the session from the secondary.
External Drives: 650GB built-in, 1TB Western Digital, 2 x 250GB Glyphs.
Keyboards: Axiom49, K2600
Control Surface: Digi 002