Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 09-28-2019, 08:53 AM

Default Dock | EuControl 19.9.0 > Some usability suggestions for Avid

Hi everyone,

Just installed EuControl 19.9.0.108. So far, running smooth!

I was wondering, however, if following usability suggestion could be considered:

- For the Bank/Nudge buttons, the EuControl application doesn't allow setting the 'Repeat' property. I would love to be able to steadily nudge/bank through the tracks by holding down the button nudge/bank buttons.

- The Monitor knob responds pretty well, just like a fader, and seems more precise around 0dB, so resetting it to 0dB is possible. However, I would love that an automatic reset to 0dB was also implemented by pressing Shift+Monitor. Just as with regular faders. That would make it perfect!

Hope this lands somewhere at Avid! :)

Cheers,
Xavier
Old 09-28-2019, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Dock | EuControl 19.9.0 > Some usability suggestions for Avid

Also, I just noticed that the Monitor knob is unresponsive when Shift is enabled..
Old 09-28-2019, 09:37 AM

It isn’t “not responsive” with shift. Shift (when lit on the dock) changes the Control knob to control Monitor A. It’s written right on the control knob (inverted lettering like the Shift on any other button)

Last edited by BScout; 09-28-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
It isn’t “not responsive” with shift. Shift (when lit on the dock) changes the Control knob to control Monitor A. It’s written right on the control knob (inverted lettering like the Shift on any other button)
Interesting. So what does it do exactly in that case? I can't make it up from the manual.

In fact, the manual instructs to assign a PT track as 'EUCON Monitor', but then that track is controlled by the (non-shift) 'Control Room' function. I guess the shift function isn't accessible with my setup, as I don't have an MTRX or XMON, right?
Old 09-28-2019, 10:41 AM

OK, I think I get it. Then, of course, my second suggestion wouldn't work, since pressing Shift would access a totally different function on the Control Room knob.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJENSEN View Post
I guess the shift function isn't accessible with my setup, as I don't have an MTRX or XMON, right?
Yup. It's for more advanced monitoring hardware. Same for the A B C D on the left of the monitoring tab. When you go to shift, you'll see the A level change/mute for control (in my case, set to headphones)

I think there was some discussion from the Eucon product manager here that in the future, they'd like to add to Pro Tools additional monitoring assignments (and not just the main Control Room) but don't quote me on that (unless you can find that post)

I do agree that there needs to be a way to get back to 0 dBFS in an instant. The Shift from the keyboard plus press of the Monitor knob could be it. Or the SEL button (which does nothing) on the Control App next to Main output. Or even just put a REF (for reference level) next to the TALK button on the Control app. It could even be a long press of the Monitor knob.

I do know they want to make it difficult to recall 0 dBFS (for reasons I'd group under Operator Error since other monitor controllers have this and have had no issue for years and years) because of fears of "blowing speakers" by accidentally jumping to too loud a level. But some of the options I listed above would have to be a very deliberate choice.

Last edited by BScout; 09-28-2019 at 08:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-28-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
I do agree that there needs to be a way to get back to 0 dBFS in an instant. The Shift from the keyboard plus press of the Monitor knob could be it. Or the SEL button (which does nothing) on the Control App next to Main output. Or even just put a REF (for reference level) next to the TALK button on the Control app. It could even be a long press of the Monitor knob.
I love the idea of the long-press! Sounds intuitive enough. That could be it!