Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 04-07-2019, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Was developer the wrong word? lol In any case, doesn't Avid get to work with a new OSX months before release?
Old 04-07-2019, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackerLe View Post
Another little Avid Joke...

10.13.6 was qualified with 2018.12...(december)... Ähm when was Mojave released?
September 24, 2018

good one.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackerLe View Post
No... The problem is, that 15% of the beta testers with hdx had massive streaming errors with the new firmware. So Avid cannot deliver the voice count upgrade for hdx cards now... The question is, why so many cards cannot handle the new firmware... Are this old cards or is there another problem. I think Avid will never give us a statement about this...We will see, if the promised HDX voice upgrade will ever or never happen in the future...

Yeah, they certainly need to deliver this.. even in the last 12 months, it's really just been bug fixes, folders, presets and some sample packs.. no real HD/Ultimate only features or anything with meat on the bone.

We're paying the $$$$ from our subs, time for Avid to deliver...
Old 04-07-2019, 02:40 AM

As I recall, Avid talks ahead of time about new features but they don't pre-announce bug fixes. It won't be until 2019.5 is actually shipping and we can all look through the release notes that we'll know what issues they've addressed. I can't recall a specific example but there have been times when a new version has appeared and I don't care about it until I have an OMG moment when I discover something buried on page 3 or whatever of the release notes.
Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, D500 Graphics, OSX Monterey 12.7.1/Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign C|24/Focusrite ISA430 MkII/SPL GoldMike
Old 04-07-2019, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhill View Post
As I recall, Avid talks ahead of time about new features but they don't pre-announce bug fixes.
Of course they demo stuff on expos but even then I recall they have some kind of obligation to deliver in certain time frame (next quarter?) but I may be mistaken. If so, and these currently awaiting new goodies were demoed Q1 then they should deliver by the end of Q2 which of course could be end of June...

FWIW it seems Avid really targeted a March release but had to pull it because 15% of the HDX cards were not functioning properly. We don't know if it's true but sounds credible.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
What happens in the months between Apple announcing a new OSX and releasing it to the public? Don't they send developers new OS's well before public release so they can work out issues? How long has Avid been working on Mojave certification?
What happens is the new or changed framework is constantly changed so what Avid can do after initial developer release is only identify problem areas and have internal meetings about how to proceed... they really need to wait until the dot-zero software is out until they can fully start working on it.

How long? Well if memory (wiki) serves me right Mojave was released on September 24th, 2018 so it means by the rumoured early May 2019.5 release it would have been +7mth in the baking. Not so cool. I was expecting Mojave support on the last 2018 release, but it didn't happen -- and now that the new features release has been postponed to May things sure look nasty for Avid.

If they would learn anything from this fiasco it would be to prioritise Mac compatibility releases because you never know if the new features release will be postponed or not. Let's hope for the best.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Of course they demo stuff on expos
Sure Janne - but my point was that from my seat I could care less about increased voice counts and MIDI tracks and even plug-in-on-the-fly but if I discover in the release notes that they've addressed the cpu utilisation issue - for example - then I'll be excited. And I can't know this in advance.
Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, D500 Graphics, OSX Monterey 12.7.1/Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign C|24/Focusrite ISA430 MkII/SPL GoldMike
Old 04-07-2019, 03:31 AM

Quote:
if I discover in the release notes that they've addressed the cpu utilisation issue - for example - then I'll be excited. And I can't know this in advance.
Of course we can't, and even if they promise something in release notes our mileage may vary considerably. However what I've heard and makes the nonstop playback possible should be good news for all of us
Old 04-07-2019, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Of course we can't, and even if they promise something in release notes our mileage may vary considerably. However what I've heard and makes the nonstop playback possible should be good news for all of us
All my fingers and toes are crossed. Although ironically it's not as important to me now as it was a few weeks ago. I'd been plugging along with my 4-core 17 Macbook Pro and I didn't want to upgrade (I wanted to wait and see what this 'new' Mac Pro was going to be like). In any reasonable world the projects I had to get out the door should have run fine on the macbook. In one case, the entire session consisted of one stereo track and a few plugins (it was a transfer and restoration of an old analogue tape master) but it still kept falling over all the time. So I had to shell out £2000 for a used Mac Pro, and now I have no problems. But that's because the Mac Pro is basically ludicrously over-specified for most of the work I'm doing, and my home setup is now more powerful than the one in the studio...

If Avid had got 2019 out earlier this year, and it fixed the cpu spike thing, I might not have had to buy that Mac Pro when I did.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:10 AM

Quote:
If Avid had got 2019 out earlier this year, and it fixed the cpu spike thing, I might not have had to buy that Mac Pro when I did.
You will thank yourself later that you did. I have a 2013 trashcan w/64GB memory and recently upgraded it to 10-core (custom) 3.0GHz processor and I'm suspecting this will serve me well for the foreseeable future