Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2014, 07:20 PM

Default Waves Studiorack

Actually what interest me is the eMotion St mixer, I use a Apollo Quad with my PTHD 11, and for tracking and punching,recording is made easy and with no latency,with their console app
Now I like the idea of the waves mixer for cue mixes etc, for us native users, that being said,I wish Avid would come up with some similar solution, because being limited to just 2 channels LLM does not cut it for most of my production needs.
I have VEP pro 5 and I find it a awkward bridge for hosting various plugs and VIs, and now with 64 bit, a really don't use it anymore, I use blue cat patchwork now.
I think the waves idea is a good one, but if avid gets freeze, and a mixer app for no latency cue mixes, I would jump on that.
Windows 10 Pro
2013 MacBook Pro Retina i7 Quad-core, 16gb ram.
Mac OSX 10.11.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 128 GB 1866 MHZ DDR3
Graphics AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

PT Ultimate 2022.4.0 on Mac
PT Ultimate 2020.12 on Windows
Logic Pro X 10.6
Nuendo 12.0
1_Antelope Audio_Orion Synergy Core Studio

Last edited by Jazzbass56; 07-24-2014 at 07:25 PM. Reason: typo's
Old 07-25-2014, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Waves Studiorack

Seems like you could use the Waves Studio Rack Native with the newly announced Dante Via on a spare computer and set up a similar off host processor (with other non-Waves plugins too) for a lot less than the Soundgrid hardware.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 07-25-2014, 06:25 PM

Never heard of Dante Via thanks for pointing them out,
Windows 10 Pro
2013 MacBook Pro Retina i7 Quad-core, 16gb ram.
Mac OSX 10.11.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 128 GB 1866 MHZ DDR3
Graphics AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

PT Ultimate 2022.4.0 on Mac
PT Ultimate 2020.12 on Windows
Logic Pro X 10.6
Nuendo 12.0
1_Antelope Audio_Orion Synergy Core Studio
Old 07-26-2014, 12:02 AM

Wow a lot of negative feedback about StudioRack. Too bad. I used SR on a podcast that I produce weekly. PT 11 Native... Only SRs occupying insert A on two dialog mono tracks and a single stereo music track. Five waves plugs on each rack. The offline bounce was 7 times faster than usual. Like em or hate em, the software is practical and very useful even in it's most simplest application! I am thoroughly impressed and am looking forward to more creative ways to utilize StudioRack! Even on a native system, it performs incredibly well.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:13 AM

What about tracking through it anyone tried it yet :)

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 07-26-2014, 07:57 AM

From Waves site:
  • In I/O mode, the DLS is designed to act as a bridge between Pro Tools systems and the DLS's built-in DSP server. In this mode, the HD/HDX or HD Native system remains your playback engine, while the DLS appears as individual I/O units from which you can expand your studio by offloading your plugin processing to the built-in server and by connecting to additional SoundGrid I/Os.

Does this mean that the DLS system will appear as "I/O and Inserts"; StudioRack will behave like a Hardware Insert Chain? So an HDX/Native system can be configured similar in concept to the UAD Apollo system. Is the difference that the HDX system, using the AVID driver enables StudioRack to use HDX DSP? Anyone with an HDX System, can you see if there is a DSP version of StudioRack?

Last edited by jjnssn; 07-26-2014 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Add question mark.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:37 AM

Hey Guys,
It's Ümit... I'm Waves DigiGrid Beta tester for a year...
I'm having love with DLS because it's a powerful system for all PT users.
the Digigrid and PT is working amazingly at my studio... Before i had PT HD 2 Pcie and I decided to get an PTHD native card. So i can say now I'm having any latency problem, New SR plug-in is a wonderful thing and eMotion mixer is awesome for recording/mixing/mastering! You can do everything you want on eMotion mixer... You can record everyting on multiple DAWS at the same time by eMotion Mixer...+ no latency problem...

The modes SGP and I/O are real freedom for any user! i mean PT Native or DSP.
The avantage is with eMotion mixer you can mix your session as an external mixer! S-imaginer is on every channel! You don't need a plug-in for widing the signal! guys! It's a awesome insane! I never touch a machine as like DLS and eMotion Mixer! Amazing!

I'm so excited with RC because I'm sure that when you work with DigiGRid you'll feel real eMotion of your mix!

If you have any question or need any information please just ask me...

Cheers

Ümit

Waves mercury Bundle
Massey Plug-ins
AIR Creative Bundle
many Audio gears...

Last edited by meric; 08-02-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:57 AM

SR plug-in is existe on DSP... So you just insert SR plug-in then you can use any waves plug-in on SR(DSP)... Or you can just route your Channel out like
Drum buss: out of Channel(PT) DLS1-2 to eMotion Mixer Channel in 1-2
Voices buss : out of Channel(PT) DLS3-4 to eMotion Mixer Channel in 3-4

Etc etc you can use SR and eMotion as like that... I use UA Mixer but it's not the same and I honestly love eMotion idea And I hope it'll be wonderful with 3rd parties and SG version2.

Cheers

Ümit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADIrouting View Post
From Waves site:
  • In I/O mode, the DLS is designed to act as a bridge between Pro Tools systems and the DLS's built-in DSP server. In this mode, the HD/HDX or HD Native system remains your playback engine, while the DLS appears as individual I/O units from which you can expand your studio by offloading your plugin processing to the built-in server and by connecting to additional SoundGrid I/Os.

Does this mean that the DLS system will appear as "I/O and Inserts"; StudioRack will behave like a Hardware Insert Chain? So an HDX/Native system can be configured similar in concept to the UAD Apollo system. Is the difference that the HDX system, using the AVID driver enables StudioRack to use HDX DSP? Anyone with an HDX System, can you see if there is a DSP version of StudioRack?

Waves mercury Bundle
Massey Plug-ins
AIR Creative Bundle
many Audio gears...
Old 07-26-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
What they probably did is take their TDM plugin and slapped it through the AAX dsp sdk.
You probably mean "take their native plugin" because TDM is a whole another ballgame...
Old 07-26-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You probably mean "take their native plugin" because TDM is a whole another ballgame...
Nope from what I remember of that discussion they had taken a tdm plugin which wasn't written in c++ (remember tdm were assembly code) wrapped it in he dsp SDK and wondered why they were getting such a poor result.. then blame the hdx card chips for their failure. But even if I remember wrong and it was an rtas plug that they wrapped in the aax sdk (they had not written for aax native yet) it was still the one block of code and not the 3 separate set blocks (GUI / Core / Processor) which comes back to what I was saying, they didn't do a diligent test so their benchmarks are false.

Wave-T.com