Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 03-05-2021, 09:11 PM

Default Install Pro Tools Correctly On New Mac Mini

I recently set up my new Mac Mini (M1 model) and I'm looking to perform a fresh install of Pro Tools and all of the plug-ins that come with it.

My plan:
The Mac OS, DAW software (including Pro Tools), plug-ins, and VSTs will belong on the system drive. I have two external drives that will handle everything else...
EXT Drives:
1. "Recording" - Only DAW project files, recorded audio, etc.
2. "Libraries" - Only sound libraries

Under these conditions, what is the best way for me to install Pro Tools? Where should I locate Pro Tools sound libraries too? What is an ideal folder system to follow?

I'm curious about these things because I've noticed how Avid tends to point many of their installations to system drive locations. Of course, the Pro Tools application itself and its plug-ins should remain on the system drive, but I'd like for sound libraries (like XPand, etc.) and other files to be on the external drive for sound libraries. I want to save as much internal storage space as possible lol...
Old 03-05-2021, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Install Pro Tools Correctly On New Mac Mini

You do realise we are still waiting for Big Sur and Apple Silicon support, don't you?
Old 03-05-2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astokes_music View Post
I recently set up my new Mac Mini (M1 model) and I'm looking to perform a fresh install of Pro Tools and all of the plug-ins that come with it.

My plan:
The Mac OS, DAW software (including Pro Tools), plug-ins, and VSTs will belong on the system drive. I have two external drives that will handle everything else...
EXT Drives:
1. "Recording" - Only DAW project files, recorded audio, etc.
2. "Libraries" - Only sound libraries

Under these conditions, what is the best way for me to install Pro Tools? Where should I locate Pro Tools sound libraries too? What is an ideal folder system to follow?

I'm curious about these things because I've noticed how Avid tends to point many of their installations to system drive locations. Of course, the Pro Tools application itself and its plug-ins should remain on the system drive, but I'd like for sound libraries (like XPand, etc.) and other files to be on the external drive for sound libraries. I want to save as much internal storage space as possible lol...
You are making it hard for yourself with all this old nonsense. There are hundreds of threads on DUC pointing out all this old stuff about multiple separate drives no longer applies with modern computers with super-fast PCIe/NVMe SSDs. Lots of those threads clearly describe how to setup a system.

Yes the Pro Tools software and all plugins need to be installed on the systems/boot drive.

You ideally have a internal SSD on the M1 Mac Mini that is large enough to hold everything, macOS, VI samples, and sessions. You just install everything using the default installers and leave the default locations and you are done. Only if samples won't fit on the internal SSD _then_ worry about getting an external SSD.

You have two what external drives... what exact make/model/spec? Unless you are purchasing Thunderbolt 3 PCIe/NVMe external SSDs anything you do with external drives will degrade the overall performance. And two external drives are likely to reduce reliability with easy to accidentally unplug cables. Let alone dealing with you only have two USB-C ports on the MBP.

And as Janne pointed out Pro Tools is not officially supported on Big Sur, on Intel, let along Big Sur on M1 based systems, but 2020.12 and the previous release to that seems to run OK, including for me on a M1 MBP and folks are reporting success with many plugins, but occasional issues. You can search for and find those discussions on DUC. But you need to be paranoid checking stuff works, make sure you have the latest plugin installers since several vendors have fixed compatibility issues recently, especially with whatever third party plugins you have. And Pro Tools and plugins today all being Intel binaries only there will be some overhead, and the M1 macs are a little light on memory if you are planning on using lots of VIs. So YMMV.

You say VSTs but I assume you are misusing that term and really mean AAX VIs. Or are you really running VSTs in a compatibility package like Blue Cat's Patchwork? I've not noticed anybody specifically reporting Patchwork is running OK on M1 macs, so if that works for you would be good to hear, and with what VST plugins.

The other thing I would always do is uninstall Avid Link and the Cloud Collaboration crapware, and optimize the system as best you can.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-06-2021 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:14 AM

Requirements or not, I still prefer to keep things separate. It helps when it comes to backups and restoration, and for me, it helps me keep things lean and efficient. Of course, YMMV

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-06-2021, 05:48 PM

Default Install Pro Tools Correctly On New Mac Mini

Definitely not required anymore. Hasn’t been for a while.

But, I too keep seperate drives. Not for organisation or backup. Both of those are trivial (IMO) if you keep things in order and schedule things correctly.

The reason I keep it seperate is for portability. I just pick up my two drives and take them with me if/when I need to be on my portable rig or someone else’s system. If you need to do that, I would suggest keeping it seperate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2021, 05:59 PM

I have been using separate drives for the last 30 years, and will always.
I refuse to write to my boot drive.
Started with external Dual Glyph SCSI, through firewire, and USB2/3.
Im now using a Gtech dual 6 gig on TB, one drive for playback audio and video, and the other for track recording.

Call me paranoid, but its been flawless.