Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 07-17-2015, 02:08 PM

Default Using digital Input on HD i/o

Good day my fine duc friends
I have a feeling my search attempts came up empty even though the answer to my question came up several times

I would like to go out of my mac mini using a toslink cable and send it to my HDX converter to hopefully get my jams pumpin. I gave it a shot but after a minute I gave up...not really. So am I missing something on getting the audio into the converter and back out again? As far as that goes I don't even see the digital inputs anywhere in protools. I realize avid makes things so easy that a 4 year old should be able to fix this but I'm stumped

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Greatest Achievement: I killed a Chimporangapuss with a sharp stick. I am now KingCoochieTomTom!.....with a gooey sharp stick.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Using digital Input on HD i/o

I do this at my studio Bob. It's easy.

You just need to designate a pair of inputs in the Hardware Setup page (or I/O) as Optical (S/PDIF)[ENCL]. The ENCL stands for Enclosure, as in the digital I/O that's past of the unit itself and not any of the cards.

Should look like this.

Attached Images
File Type: png I:O.png (79.3 KB, 0 views)

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:37 PM

Good advice^^^ My solution; I use a Presonus central Station as my monitor/source controller and feed the optical SPDIF from my computer to one of the digital inputs on the SC. Works perfectly(and is only one of several niceties from the box)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-17-2015, 04:50 PM

thank you so much drew. So not that I can see everything how do I get....well...itunes to play though my system or do I need to open up a blank session and route it through that
Greatest Achievement: I killed a Chimporangapuss with a sharp stick. I am now KingCoochieTomTom!.....with a gooey sharp stick.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsandifer View Post
thank you so much drew. So not that I can see everything how do I get....well...itunes to play though my system or do I need to open up a blank session and route it through that
Yes, you do need to a session open for this to work. Not ideal, but you get used to it.

Make an Aux Track and assign its input to the pair you set to optical and its output to your monitor output.

Ot you could find a solution like the one Dave mentioned. I used to have a CS years ago before I got the ICON and it worked very well.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:05 PM

Drew this worked perfectly. I just made a session with nothing but a fader showing. I really don't even notice the extra step. Thank you for the help

Bob