Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2008, 11:11 PM

Default MIDI timing issues using external keyboards and a 002

When I send my keyboards MIDI and record to an audio track I'm getting insane timing issues.

The crazy thing is that it isn't just latency. It definately comes in late, but after i record it, when I snap it to where it should go the whole rest of the track is off in VARYING degrees. I understand if its uniformly late, but each passing note seems to be late and by different amounts--- which after lining up the first note, actually makes some of them afterwards even way early sometimes.

It happens much worse with my MicroKorg and MS2000, but also does it with my Nord Lead 3. (and also with various instrument plugins, to a much lesser degree)

Am i just missing something when it comes to recording keyboards while sending them notes from a Midi track?

And yes, of course I've changed the buffer to every possible thing to try to deal with the latency, but as I said, its not even a uniform measure of time difference throughout each track, or even bar or phrase.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:44 PM

Default Re: MIDI timing issues using external keyboards and a 002

Hi,

What version of PT LE installed? What;s the Mac Model, Ram, OS and processor? Is the 002 connected to front 1394 port if g5 and back 1394 if Mac Pro?

There is a bug with Midi Timing on 7.4 that is acknowledged by Digidesign but not yet resolved. That might be your answer if on 7.4

Otehrwise Id try trashing DAE Prefs, Digidesign Databases, ByHost Folder, create a new AMS configuration and possible clean uninstall/reinstall and try again.

Best,

Gibson_sg
Old 04-07-2008, 12:00 AM

thank you for the reply,

I guess I'm one of the rare people that got 7.4 to work for Leopard, but it was happening all the same on 7.3 and 7.1

I'm using a MacPro with 4 gigs of ram. The 002 is connected to my external hard drive, which is connected to the back of the computer via firewire. Same issue if i take the external drive out of the chain.

I've trashed my digi databases but don't actually know what all those other things your talking about are. What would they do, and how would the remedy such a thing (possibly)?

This has always happened since I've used midi and the 002. From 7.1 and up, the past 3 OSs and even on my older computer which was a dual G4.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:58 AM

anybody else have this? any ideas?
Old 04-08-2008, 12:04 PM

It sounds like you have several MIDI devices daisy chained off your 002. If that's the case, what happens if you don't do that?

Also, have you tried using a 3rd party USB MIDI interface? Since you have so many external devices, you should probably get one anyway, but you could use it as a test to see if the problem is only coming from the 002's MIDI ports or if it shows up on other interfaces as well.

A more detailed description of your MIDI setup/cabling would maybe help us understand your rig a little better.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:42 AM

I never have more than 1 midi device attached to the 002. ever. 1 keyboard at a time.

I can't believe there aren't more people with this problem, when, as I said, its happened on every PT setup I've had.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I never have more than 1 midi device attached to the 002. ever. 1 keyboard at a time.

I can't believe there aren't more people with this problem, when, as I said, its happened on every PT setup I've had.
I've had better luck in the last few years using a USB keyboard (Edirol) than using the MIDI port on my 002. See if you can find someone with one and test it. For me, the latency was smaller (well, it felt smaller but I have no way of measuring it) AND it fixed a stuck note issue I was having with Absynth.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I've had better luck in the last few years using a USB keyboard (Edirol) than using the MIDI port on my 002. See if you can find someone with one and test it. For me, the latency was smaller (well, it felt smaller but I have no way of measuring it) AND it fixed a stuck note issue I was having with Absynth.
oops!
OK, should have read your original post again before posting this - I see your problem is on MIDI "output", not MIDI input. BUT I did have good luck using the MIDI out of the USB keyboard as opposed to the MIDI out of the 002.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Avid

Do you have RTAS error supression enabled in the Playback Engine? If so - try turning that off.

Also, do you have any airport/wireless/bluetooth services enabled? Disabling those can also improve MIDI timing.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:19 AM

Try installing 7.4cs4 which should fix erratic midi timing.