Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-24-2008, 10:31 AM

Default DigiTech question: RAM Memory and PT HD 8: Limits.

Marry Christmas, first of all. I should be partying, but anyway...

Just a few questions for Digidesign technical support:

1) What is the maximum RAM memory that Pro Tools HD 8 can use on a Mac Pro 32GB RAM.

2) Do the plug-ins use a separate memory from Pro Tools, in which case teach plug-in would have potentially the same mamixum memory allowance as Pro Tools? Or it all count as one application and therefore there is a global limit equal to the maximum memory limit of Pro Tools?

3) Is there a plan to make Pro Tools HD a 64 bit application? When is this likely to happen? Maybe it is being done already?

Thank you very much!
Old 12-24-2008, 10:42 AM

Default Re: DigiTech question: RAM Memory and PT HD 8: Limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intini View Post
Marry Christmas, first of all. I should be partying, but anyway...

Just a few questions for Digidesign technical support:

1) What is the maximum RAM memory that Pro Tools HD 8 can use on a Mac Pro 32GB RAM.

2) Do the plug-ins use a separate memory from Pro Tools, in which case teach plug-in would have potentially the same mamixum memory allowance as Pro Tools? Or it all count as one application and therefore there is a global limit equal to the maximum memory limit of Pro Tools?

3) Is there a plan to make Pro Tools HD a 64 bit application? When is this likely to happen? Maybe it is being done already?

Thank you very much!
Sorry! i'm not digi tech support, but i'll answer the first 2 questions..

1. 4 gig
2. NO, except rewire app which can use the max 4 gig

3. i guess it will have to be re-coded from start for 64bit

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:32 PM

Hi, Cris is this official for PT8 re Ram addressing, I was wondering the very same thing, as I'm having hangs and stuff since upgrading to Leopard and PT8 this week.

I've only got 3GB in - Mac Pro Quad 3Gh 1st Gen/HD3 - and up till now it's not caused me any trouble, but my stats are showing about 4/5's RAM usage, so probably time for a couple of 2GB sticks...?

Having said that I've just switched to 2 processors and it's much more stable!

Anyway, the point was that I asked this very question of Digi re 7.4 and was told by PreSales that PT7x can only address 2.5GB of RAM - I was rather hoping they might have upped this with 8 as you say.

So the whole app and running plugs can now use a max of 4GB in tandem, not including Reason which is an app in it's own right so must run outside this 4GB limit?

J
Old 12-25-2008, 09:01 PM

Thanks guys.

Cris, I don't think it is necessary to completely recode Pro Tools to make it 64 bit. I think it is more like doing a LOT of adjustments and recompiling it with the 64 bit option on the C++ compiler - assuming they use C++.

I am really hoping to hear something form Digidesign. So I know what to expect -and what not to expect. Also helps my planning with regards to my near future sample players plan. I really wish we could go beyond the 4GB in Pro Tools - or maybe to allow the plug-ins to run in separate "memory slots" at least. It's been a while since 64-bit computers and operating systems are around. Digi?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:54 PM

bump

Mobile: MBP Retina 2.6 HGz Intel Core i7 w 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 running macOS Catalina (10.15.7) w/ Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.12

Studio: Mac Pro 2 x 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon w 16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM running OS X 10.8.5 using Pro Tools v10.3.9 & v11.3.2 HDX w/ AVID HD I/O
Old 09-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Avid

Chris' answers for the first two are about right. 4GB (actually a bit less due to the OS) is the limit for both Pro Tools and all plugins, which all run in the same process space.

64 bit doesn't require any sort of rewrite, but it does require all plugins to be updated to 64 bit, so is a major change for that reason, in addition to the infrastructure and OS service changes involved. It will happen eventually; as with any future releases, we can't give out the details, but it's on our minds a lot. The main reason to update is to allow more / bigger plugins to run; otherwise it doesn't bring a lot of benefit (though we realize that for the customers running plugins that max out memory usage, it's a blocking issue).

Also, contrary to what Chris mentions (or how I interpreted it), Rewire doesn't free you from the 4GB limit - it causes the rewire slave application to be run inside the Pro Tools process, so it still all needs to fit within the same 4GB.

Paul Vercellotti
Avid Engineering
Old 09-02-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulV View Post
Also, contrary to what Chris mentions (or how I interpreted it), Rewire doesn't free you from the 4GB limit - it causes the rewire slave application to be run inside the Pro Tools process, so it still all needs to fit within the same 4GB.
Wow thanks for the heads-up on the rewire-memory!!

So this is the situation with ALL rewire apps? this will really p**s on the fireworks of all the Bidule users.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:04 AM

As to Question #3 regarding 64bit architecture, Digidesign said back in March of this year that it was one of the things at the top of their "TO DO" list:

"Going 64 bit is high on our list..."

Now that Snow Leopard is here I imagine we'll see PT taking advantage of the 64 bit OS in some way in the next couple of revisions. But I also expect it to be a slow, selective, gradual process. And that's not a bad thing, either.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulV View Post
Chris' answers for the first two are about right. 4GB (actually a bit less due to the OS) is the limit for both Pro Tools and all plugins, which all run in the same process space.

64 bit doesn't require any sort of rewrite, but it does require all plugins to be updated to 64 bit, so is a major change for that reason, in addition to the infrastructure and OS service changes involved. It will happen eventually; as with any future releases, we can't give out the details, but it's on our minds a lot. The main reason to update is to allow more / bigger plugins to run; otherwise it doesn't bring a lot of benefit (though we realize that for the customers running plugins that max out memory usage, it's a blocking issue).
Won't you have to switch to switch to Cocoa?
Old 09-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Avid

Quote:
So this is the situation with ALL rewire apps?
Yeah; Rewire masters / hosts ("Mixer" apps in rewire terms) have the clients ("Synth" aps) run inside their process space, by way of the Rewire library which manages coordination. Clocking and buffers are on the terms of host app, and the synth apps run as needed to keep the audio flowing in the host. It's not a true multi-client IPC (inter-process communication) system, which would be a quite difficult thing to implement without increased latency, synchronization issues, etc. (but wouldn't need the notion of master/slave apps).

Quote:
Won't you have to switch to switch to Cocoa?
Pro Tools is mostly Cocoa as of 8.0. But there are a handful of similar changes like that associated with going to 64 bit, which I included in "OS service changes...."

Paul Vercellotti
Avid Engineering