Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-01-2016, 11:33 PM

Default 550$ CDN for used Pro Tools 12.4

A friend of mine is selling is Pro Tools 12.4 at 550$ CDN the problem is the Support Ran out so it`s like 400$ CDN to restart Support and on the other Side a Brand New Pro Tools 12 with 1 year full support is like 800$ CDN.

I`m a Cubase user new to Protools so for me the 400$ for support is crazy and from what I saw on this site if you don`t have a paid support plan you are ... out of luck and will not get anything from AVID I also left a MSG at AVID sales to get some more info but I didn't get any reply so far

I understand the 129$ / years to get support and update or the 399$ to go from a old version like 9 or 10 even 11 to current version but 12.4 ... mmmm that`s harsh

Is there a cheaper way to get back on a support plan or should I just go with 12.4 and wait a couple of years for Pro Tools 13 or 14 or just get the full version and let my friend hang with a software that he paid good money for
or finally just stay with Cubase 8 and forget everything
Old 11-02-2016, 12:14 AM

Default Re: 550$ CDN for used Pro Tools 12.4

There's no easy answer to you question, there's no cheaper way thru Avid, maybe check out Audiodeluxe, they seem to be the best place to buy on line and you'll get a perpetual license with 1 years support, at the end of that year Avid with give you the option to re-new the license for another 12 months.

As for the 2nd part of your question, again, no easy answer. I'm guessing by the fact that you use Cubase you work a lot in MIDI, PT does MIDI but it's certainly not an "in depth" MIDI application and not renowned as such either. When it comes to audio processing and handling, PT rocks! and the automation alone is worth the price of admission! Now before I get accused of being some sort of Avid "Fan Boy" I do a lot of MIDI and VI work and always use Logic Pro for the arrangement, then bounce the whole thing out of Logic, import into PT and finish the arrangement, mix and edit there, as far as I'm concerned it's "horses for courses", much as everyone would like it so, there really is no one DAW that does it all brilliantly, you really have to hammer out a work flow that works best for you.

Give PT a try, I believe there's a 30 day demo available and don't be put of by what(on the surface) appears to be missing, dig a little deeper and you'll be surprised at the cleverness and extensiveness of the audio tools (clip gain line is a killer). I came over from Nuendo and was frustrated at first by the apparent clunkiness and lack of features but soon came to love the sound and ease of workflow in PT.

so... if you do a lot of intricate MIDI work you'll probably be disappointed in PT - maybe hang with Cubase for the MIDI stuff - but for pure audio, it rocks!

Good luck

BTW, set up/login to your Audiodeluxe account then go to the cart, they usually give you an even better price there.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:19 PM

Hello Big Thanks for your reply

I allready tried PT 12 at my friend`s place and yes I was a little confuse at first but after some messing around and a lot of great tutorial on the web it`s really nice and for me using a Apollo the integration is really good.

One of the main reason I wanna buy PT12 is to be able to work But also help my friend ... Because, like a lot of the GREAT musicians I know he`s not a tech guy or a Nerd like me

I feel like PT is a lot like real life analog rooting a little more picky but really flexible

So Again Thanks for your reply and I will checkout Audiodeluxe
Old 11-02-2016, 12:45 PM

Have you considered subscription?
Old 11-02-2016, 12:59 PM

There's an Mbox3 + Pro Tools 11 on Kijiji Ottawa for $500cad right now.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:06 PM

I can get a USED PT 11 at 350$ but I still need to pay 400$ CDN to get back on the support plan ! so almost the regular instore price here in Canada

I was looking at this, that the web store PMF Media was talking about : https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products...-101112-bundle

399.99$ US by today exchange is about 535.59S CDN it look legit all I need is to get a iLOK from a music store here in Canada

Description:
PLEASE NOTE: Pro Tools REQUIRES an iLok 2, You will get a Perpetual License (Never Expires)

Includes 1-year Annual Upgrade Plan, which provides access to all new Pro Tools releases, renewable annually for $99/year. Plus, you get access to an amazing collection of bonus plug-ins—included free for the first year.

Any Comment on this vendor ?
Old 11-02-2016, 03:45 PM

I have a Newbie question ... If I buy a New PT 12 with support plan and I keep paying the 99$ every years do I get the new version (UPGRADE) Like Pro Tools 13 or just the update and support of PT12
Old 11-02-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock999 View Post
I have a Newbie question ... If I buy a New PT 12 with support plan and I keep paying the 99$ every years do I get the new version (UPGRADE) Like Pro Tools 13 or just the update and support of PT12
Avid Plans are said to include upgrades, so as far as I understand it whatever version Avid puts out while your plan is active, you get it into your Avid Account.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:02 PM

Audiodeluxe are rock solid, trust worthy and reliable, I've dropped quite a few dollars there over the years and have never had a problem, in fact, it's pretty much my first stop when I'm contemplating new software.

Yes, you'll be able to continue on a support plan after the first 12 months for the $99 annual fee - this is what Avid would prefer - and yes, you'll get any and all dot/version releases going forward, a word of warning/advise tho, once you reach a config that you are happy with, think long and hard about updating... if it ain't broke, don't fix it! and sadly, updating with every new version come sometimes break a perfectly solid system.

As I and many others have stated, get used to cloning your working system onto a seperate drive or partition BEFORE you upgrade, that way you have a quick and easy roll back to a working system, I always use Carbon Copy Cloner, it just works!

As for the iLok, you may as well go for an iLok 3 rather than an iLok 2, it's the way forward as it will supersede the iLok 2 (but iLok 2 will be fine for the foreseeable future so check price).

Good Luck

Martin.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock999 View Post
You pay per year,
and you get every update/upgrade that comes out that year.
I believe full support though (for PT Vanilla) cost an extra US $ 99 ...