Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 12-19-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Intrument Track and Plugins?

How can you automate a plugin (delay, verb, etc..) on an instrument track? I have inserted a plugin on a instrument track, but there is no sound from the plug in. I can see that the autmation is working on the plugin, just can't hear it.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Intrument Track and Plugins?

As I try some more automation, I thought could mute a track by activating the ( read, touch,write, latch) automation, but it doesn't work. The channel mute button goes on and off, but the sound never does. I also tried to mute the instument mute portion on the channel, but there PT doesn't keep any of my mute automation. I can manually go in an write a mute, but not with the channel mute buttons or instrument buttons.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:28 AM

You wrote:
"I have inserted a plugin on a instrument track, but there is no sound from the plug in"

What plug-in?

Is your question about automation or getting sound from Instrument Tracks?

EDIT: How many times have you posted the same question? I've just stumbled across three. Not cool. Just once is fine, and bump it if you feel it gets no response after a few days.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
You wrote:
"I have inserted a plugin on a instrument track, but there is no sound from the plug in"

What plug-in?

EDIT: How many times have you posted the same question? I've just stumbled across three. Not cool. Just once is fine, and bump it if you feel it gets no response after a few days.
This was my question
>>How can you automate a plugin (delay, verb, etc..) on an instrument track? I have inserted a plugin on a instrument track, but there is no sound from the plug in. I can see that the autmation is working on the plugin, just can't hear it.

I posted in VI and Midi because I wasn't sure who would answer, lighten up. This is a forum to help each other and share with each other. Let's have some fun huh?
Old 12-21-2007, 05:31 AM

Yes, let's have some fun, but think about it. It's a pain if other PT users wants to help you, only to find out that there's a paralell thread going on. That's just a waste of time, don't you think?

Anyway, I don't fully understand your problem. Do you have a VI followed by another plugin? Or, are you using instrument tracks as auxes now? If it's the latter, I haven't tried this.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You wrote:

What plug-in?

This was my question
>>How can you automate a plugin (delay, verb, etc..) on an instrument track? I have inserted a plugin on a instrument track, but there is no sound from the plug in. I can see that the autmation is working on the plugin, just can't hear it.

I posted in VI and Midi because I wasn't sure who would answer, lighten up. This is a forum to help each other and share with each other. Let's have some fun huh?

Duplicated posts across multiple forums is against most forum rules. And I think if you go back through my contributions here - or just about anywhere I post on the the internet - then you'll find I'm all for helping and sharing.

And you still haven't responded to my questions requesting clarification.

What plug-in?

Effect plug-ins don't *make* sound by themselves. If I place a synth plug-in on an instrument track, then a delay or a reverb, I can hear the effect of the delay or the reverb processing on the synth.

What automation?

Then if I automate a parameter, such as, the cut-off of an EQ filter, and draw the automation into the Instrument Track lane, I can hear it affect the synth's output.

Perhaps you've used the terminology 'automation' to describe MIDI? That being the case, what's the output of your Instrument Track set to?

Question for the gurus though, why do Instrument Tracks have an Input setting option? The don't record audio, and they don't pass audio during playback. Hmm...
Old 12-21-2007, 06:12 PM

fasttraxx, I don't mean to patronize you, but accession's right on the money, in fact, what you're doing by spreading the same question across multiple threads is making it very difficult for anyone to try and help you. I hope you don't run your sessions like this.

filosofem
Old 12-21-2007, 06:46 PM

And from our host:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.php?Number=1009504
"Multiple identical postings in the same forum or more than one forum of the same message are not allowed and may be considered spam and removed."

The also say, "X vs.Y threads (Mac vs. PC, PT vs. Nuendo, etc.)", but that never stopped anybody! Though, I must say, the DUC admins have relaxed in their old age.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Question for the gurus though, why do Instrument Tracks have an Input setting option?
They could come in handy when monitoring external synths, samplers and such. I think it is easier if I have all keys and samplers (both software and hardware) on the same track type.

One other reason for the inputs could be that some VI's didn't pass audio if no inputs were assigned, but I don't know. Only guessing here...

Old 12-22-2007, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Question for the gurus though, why do Instrument Tracks have an Input setting option?
They could come in handy when monitoring external synths, samplers and such. I think it is easier if I have all keys and samplers (both software and hardware) on the same track type.
Ah, of course! That would be it!

Makes perfect sense now. I still use dedicated MIDI tracks for my hardware as I like to have dedicated MIDI tracks for my hardware. Hmm... Did that make sense? What I'm getting at is, all my synths are multitimbral, and therefore, require multiple individual sequencer tracks pointing to a single instrument. Still could be useful for mono-timbral situations, or the like.

Now that's sorted, I'll sleep well tonight!