Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-01-2007, 10:26 AM

Default 7.4 Error messages

After loading V7.4 I am hitting some serious brick walls!!

On trying to open a new session I get the following:

"Session must be on an audio record volume. If permitted, set the volume(s) in question to "R" (record) in the workspace"

. . and this means what? (and why am I getting it?)

Also when opening a previous session I get this:
"The original disk allocation for this session cannot be used. Check the disk allocation window to see what's changed. - Would you like a detailed report" etc.

. . Why am I getting this?

When I try to record activate a track I get this message:
"No record volumes designated"

. . . Why am I getting this and what do I need to do to fix this?

Anyone any ideas what all this mess is for and why I'm getting it? (V7.3 worked fine)

Any ideas most welcome
Old 12-01-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Re: 7.4 Error messages

Quote:
"Session must be on an audio record volume. If permitted, set the volume(s) in question to "R" (record) in the workspace"
That's actually pretty self explanatory, isn't it?

Open the workspace in Pro Tools (Window->Workspace).
On the drive in question, check the "A" column (audio) and see what it is set to. For recording volumes, this needs to be "R".

There are several reasons why a drive might get reset to a different volume type, including but not limited to, inserting an external drive after Pro Tools has been opened, removing an external drive without first un-mounting it (safely remove hardware in windows), and quite a few other things.
Quote:
Also when opening a previous session I get this:
"The original disk allocation for this session cannot be used. Check the disk allocation window to see what's changed. - Would you like a detailed report" etc.

. . Why am I getting this?
This is an indication that either the drive letter has changed, you moved the session to a new drive improperly, or your session drive is set to "T" for transfer only and is not a playback drive (which is most likely the case here).

Your problems, while they may have coincided with you installing 7.4, are all hard drive related and have nothing whatsoever to do with your upgrade, and could have happened in 7.3 as well.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 12-01-2007, 11:24 AM

I beg to differ. I had exactly this same problem trying to run 7.4 in System 10.4.10. I was unable to select any of my drives as Record or Playback drives. I resolved the problem by downgrading to System 10.4.9 and reinstalling Pro Tools 7.4.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:05 PM

Thanks for your thoughts.

When I try and chage the setting in Workspace I get this message:

"Audio 1" cannot be designated as an Audio Record volume because it is formatted as a FAT volume!!

Ehhh, has Protools suggenly (after about 3 years) taken a dislike to its host computer?

Any suggestions?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Pro Tools 7.4 and higher does not support FAT32 drives for recording (information that PTLE 7.3 would be the last version with FAT32 recording support was posted to the windows hard drive requirements page several months ago before 7.4 was released). You'll need to format as NTFS.

Also on the Pro Tools LE 7.4 for Windows XP and Vista System Requirements page:

Audio Record/Playback Drive Requirements
Please see the following for formatting and compatibility information:(see the Hard Drive Requirements & Formatting section on that page for more information)

Please Note: FAT32 Volumes Not Supported for Recording with Pro Tools 7.4 and Higher for Windows
  • Pro Tools 7.3.x is the last version of Pro Tools that supports FAT32 for Recording.
  • Pro Tools 7.4 and higher for Windows XP and Windows Vista do not support FAT32 for recording, but will continue to support FAT32 formatted volumes for Playback and Transfer.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:13 AM

Thanks very much for this information. I'm formatting my drives to NTFS as I write!!

This little gem of no FAT32 was not clear to me at all when I upgraded, but at least this fabulous forum has sorted me out (again!!)

Well done to all who have assisted me.

Now when is the C16 (at a sensible price) going to be released?