Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 01-23-2010, 05:40 PM

Default Looking for a nice Symphonic VI

So Ive tried my hand at a few different VI's. Ive used Miroslav and now im trying symphonic orchestra platinum but nothing seems to work well in pro tools. Miroslav is just not as versatile as i would like and now it looks like the one i really love Symphonic Orchestra just doesn't compute. I tried using the RTAS Wrapper but to no avail. Its only showing me the strings, i cant get the percussion or brass or anything else. Im thinking of moving to VSL, but i need something that is reliable and versatile like the EAST WEST Series. Also, it depends if i need to use a different interface to use it like using Kompakt to use the East West Libraries...Any thoughts?
Old 01-23-2010, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Looking for a nice Symphonic VI

lots of views and no answers, not looking for a huge explanation just some ideas. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 01-23-2010, 10:34 PM

What's your computer Specs and what version of PT are you using?
FL Studio - 9.0.3
Midi controllers - Behringer BCF 2000 - M-Audio Keystation 61es

Dan-Jay
Old 01-23-2010, 10:42 PM

MS XP (SP3)
Intel Core 2Dup CPU
E7200 @ 2.53 GHz
2.54 GHz, 3.25 GB RAM

Digidesign Mbox2
Pro Tools LE 8.0.3
Old 01-24-2010, 03:27 PM

I suggest looking into Vienna Instruments Special Edition ($500). There's a lot of great stuff in there, and it works fine in PT, unlike Play.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:15 PM

There are many nice Symphonic VI's out there. What's good for you will mostly come down to how you intend to use it, how much your willing to spend and personal taste.
The best I have ever used was Sonic Implants (Sonnivox) Complete Symphonic Collection. I had the Giga format which has gone by the wayside since the demise of Gigastudio. I am however encouraged that the future updated release of Structure will have Giga sample format support. Like EW's Platinum, all samples are 24 bit. I also have IK's Philharmonik and find it useful.
When Digi first offered EW's Symphonic Orchestra Gold Complete Structure Edition, though 16 bit and priced somewhat higher than EW's Kontakt edition at the time (now the Play Edition) I decided to take the plunge because of compatibility. I have not regretted my decision if only because it works. From what I've read in this forum it seems while some are having no problems with Play in PT there are many others that are. I have not experienced any problems with the Structure Edition of EW's Gold Complete. Pricey, yes. But it works and that's the bottom line.
Also, as has been pointed out, Vienna also has some fine VI's. I have their Opus 1 and 2 (sorta like EW's Gold Complete), but also is in Giga format.
There is a somewhat new VI called Los Angeles Scoring Strings if your looking for an excellent string section. You may want to check it out. Also, take a look at Sonnivox's latest offerings. There may be something there that interests you.
Some time in the future there may also be an excellent offering from Garritan as they purchased the rights to Giga about a year ago.

Best,

Lou
Pro Tools 2018.4 Ultimate, Studio One Pro 3.5.6, VEP 6, Wavelab 9, Blue Cat, Exponential Audio. Eventide, IK, iZotope, McDSP, Metric Halo, Slate Digital, Softube, Sonnox, Soundtoys, WAVES.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:25 AM

How did you install your EW Structure Symphonic gold? I have a 08 mac pro tower 6 gig of ram 3 internal hard drives and I just installed snow leopard so I will install my plug ins again now. On my previous system I could only get 8 samples without it crashing. I need like 50 samples at once.