Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2014, 12:51 PM

Default JL COOPER Surround Panner with MIDI io is making me crazy

Hello everyone, I feel like I have tried everything, so any sort of advice would be greatly appreciated right now.

We have a D-Command es with 24 faders, HDX Pro Tools 10/11 and a MIDI i/o on a 6 core Mac Pro running Mountain Lion.

We have had the JLC panner since about HD v7.4 or 8. All of the knobs have always functioned fine but every once in a while, with no warning or anyway to make sense of when it goes (i.e.: no software has changed at all) It will let you pan ONLY from the very FRONT L to just slightly back and hard right. The actual position of f/r balance will go from +100 to +42 no matter what you do with the stick itself. If you move it directly back and forth, there will be almost no movement at all on screen.

It also seems to be locked in a curve from very top left to +42 f/r on the right, no other path.

I just went through the nightmare fighting to get my MIDI io to be recognized by AMS (after mountain lion upgrade and PT 10/11 install the whole io dropped off the system) - only by installing the v9.0 MIDI io divers and doing the firmware update that came with PT11. weird, but whatever.

I would suspect hardware problems except for the fact that I am pretty sure that some random time in a month or so, it will suddenly work just fine as if nothing was ever wrong, that has kinda been the MO of this panner.

Any Ideas?
Old 02-19-2014, 04:37 PM

Default Re: JL COOPER Surround Panner with MIDI io is making me crazy

I'll guess hardware problem. I still use mine on PT10 and do not recall seeing behavior like that.

It might be a problem with touch sensitivity from a broken wire to the joystick. There is a wire that runs through the inside of the metal stick. It kinda sorta makes a friction contact with the stick where two parts of the metal stick are pressed together. Without contact, the circuit does not know you are touching the stick and no position data is sent. It might be that the wire inside is broken and only makes connections at certain stick angles.My description may not make a lot of sense until you take the unit apart, and I'm working from a memory of when I repaired mine 3 or 4 years ago.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:55 PM

You know, in my manic research on the duc I think I came across a post of yours talking about this. I figured this is going to require a screwdriver and a modicum of adventure.

The problem is so random and intermittent I was hoping for a quick "pref trashing and PRam reset" or something, but what kind of fun would that be?

Thanks for the quick reply
Old 03-06-2014, 01:24 PM

I too use the panner in 10.3.8 HD|6 TDM ACCEL (OSX 10.8.5) and have not seen this problem. Make sure you have the "latest" profile

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nload/en355431

Also, verify your MIDI is working properly. Then, verify that the powere adapter is functioning properly.

If you believe all that is, and you sill have problems, contact JL Cooper support.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash