Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2003, 10:15 AM

Default Convert word clock to spdif clock - cheap solution?

I'm using an 002 primarily on a G4. Works great. The solution I'm looking for involves this: I'm trying to lock the 002 to a 2" 16 track analog deck using an Opcode 64XTC midi/sync interface with a beige G3 with a firewire card for drives. It's sole purpose is to sit next to the tape machine and handle the analog transfers. My problem is the inablity to get word clock into the 002 as it only has SPDIF. Is there a cheap box to convert the word clock protocol to SPDIF? And please, I know I can get a newer MOTU usb box to replace the 64XTC etc.... but I'm trying to do this gorilla warfare style with no budget. Word to SPDIF. Sounds simple enough.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2003, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Convert word clock to spdif clock - cheap solution?

nice! now that's the kind of solution i'm talking about! - except that i don't personally own a pod pro .... but that's a good work-around to know!

i also just realized i used the word gorilla instead of guerrilla in my initail post. er .... $#!+ .....
[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2003, 01:09 PM

Just curious if you have a pair of Lynx synchronizers, or similar for the analog machine.. then you'd get better sonics using PT as a code only master.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-19-2003, 01:18 PM

Rail-

unfortunately, i don't own a Lynx or other multi-track sync box. i'm not entirely certain this old 1974 mci 2" would even talk to a lynx ... but maybe. is slaving PT's digital clock to smpte pretty nasty with regard to sonics? seems like i've done that out at Sound City ... but i can't remember. Nah - they probably had a lynx on that A800.

thanks Rail
Old 06-19-2003, 01:26 PM

Sound City uses Lynx (they even have a pair of mine there)... It sounds better because the clock to PT is stable. The MCI 2", with the right Lynx cable, does work with the Lynx. I think I got my pair of Lynx for $200 on Ebay.. but you'll end up spending more than that on the cable [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The other option is to use video reference... print video referenced SMPTE to the 2", then when you transfer between PT and the 2" resolve both to video.. but once again, you'd need a synchronizer.

Can't think of a cheap adapter.. my first thought was a CO3.. but that's AES to SPDIF... if I think of anything else, I'll post it.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-20-2003, 12:49 AM

if you have a pod pro sitting around you can use the wordclock in and than output that to your spdif into your 002.
just 1 way.