How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2014, 10:32 PM

Default workflow setup for soloing

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone can chime in on their particular setups with regards to bussing to aux's and soloing different tracks etc.

I like to group instruments, change the output to a bus and have it all come in on a dedicated aux track corresponding to that bus. I also make a stereo aux the master due to the master fader choice being pre fader. Anyways, I have a problem when I want to solo something. For example. All drums go to a drum aux. I want to solo that. But then I would have to solo all the individual tracks going to the aux. Or solo safe them all. That would lead to alot of work un-soloing if I wanted to hear just the snare etc. Also would have to have the 2 bus solo safe. etc. etc. parallel compression on drums- How would I hear just that, etc.
I then run into a mess of a bunch of things being solo safed, some not and a ton of time wasted searching around to see what needs turned on and what not. Perhaps Im missing the obvious and would really appreciate any suggestions to enhance my work flow.

many thanks to all suggestions.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:18 PM

Default Re: workflow setup for soloing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisosaki View Post
Hey all,

Wondering if anyone can chime in on their particular setups with regards to bussing to aux's and soloing different tracks etc.

I like to group instruments, change the output to a bus and have it all come in on a dedicated aux track corresponding to that bus. I also make a stereo aux the master due to the master fader choice being pre fader. Anyways, I have a problem when I want to solo something. For example. All drums go to a drum aux. I want to solo that. But then I would have to solo all the individual tracks going to the aux. Or solo safe them all. That would lead to alot of work un-soloing if I wanted to hear just the snare etc. Also would have to have the 2 bus solo safe. etc. etc. parallel compression on drums- How would I hear just that, etc.
I then run into a mess of a bunch of things being solo safed, some not and a ton of time wasted searching around to see what needs turned on and what not. Perhaps Im missing the obvious and would really appreciate any suggestions to enhance my work flow.

many thanks to all suggestions.
Hi, I typically set up my mixes the same way, with all the drums faders grouped and the drums sent to a stereo aux track. Then I solo safe the aux track so that soloing any drum track will allow all of the drums to be soloed (assuming you have the drum group set up that way). Then, if you need to hear just one of the drum tracks, you can Control+Click (Mac) or Start+Click (Win) that track's solo button. Check the reference manual for all the parameters you can use that shortcut for. I primarily use it for Solo/Mute/Level Changes for individual tracks that are grouped, without having to disable the group. Very handy shortcut! You can also suspend all groups at once with Command+Shift+G (IIRC) which is good when editing. Hope that helps.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7