Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2006, 02:39 PM

Default Le + DV toolkit2 VS HD

This is a question I though I would never ask but... Currently I have a mix system and am quite happy, but as time marches on I will need to change so I can move on to PT7 and Tiger. I could probably live with out Tiger for a long time but since PT7 is a different session format from 6.X compatibility is going to force the issue. Until now there was really no choice, sessions were often over 32 tracks. But the new DV toolkit 2 ups that to 48 Stereo OR mono. If I'm reading that correctly I could have 48 stereo tracks, which is more than the Mix system supports. I only have one TDM plugin that I use with any regularity and that is a reverb - and I'm doing more and more of that outboard. So other than surround, something that I have yet to use why would I not switch to an 002 rack, Le and toolkit 2? I'm sure there is a issue that I haven't realized so I'm counting on you folks who are a lot smarter than I to enlighten me.
The reason in favor are two fold. First the cost, to go to HD is about 4.5 -5K depending - 002/Le/toolbox 2 is $2.5K. But also there is a portability advantage in that the whole system could get moved and installed on a new machine with not too much effort and could in a pinch be run off a laptop. Also I have a DP G4 with PCI slots. If I move to HD now I would have to pony up another 2500 when I moved to a G5 with PCIe slots. The 002 would move over with out that issue.

OK so give me the bad news.
Thanks
SK

PS
Other than shorts and some music that is mixed in the box this is a strictly editorial system. If I were mixing on a regular basis I can see a lot of issues with Le.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Le + DV toolkit2 VS HD

Still doesn't have snapshot automation. That's a big advantage for me.
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-21-2006, 10:47 PM

I guess no surround is the big one. Plus, LE only supports MIDI Machine Control, not LTC machine control, so you have to start getting crafty with work-arounds. The fastest possible computer will really help, since LE is host based. RTAS plugs don't come close to TDM plugs, especially broadcast plugs. You shouldn't have a problem with smaller jobs though - with deliveries in stereo, docos, shorts etc. LE 7 using both processors in a dual CPU has cracked it really.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:25 AM

can't believe surround isn't included in the DV 2 tool kit......
Old 01-22-2006, 08:55 AM

IIRC, the 002's only calibrate to -14dB, not -20, which you need for post.

then again, you will need to buy a 192 (or a 96)...more $$

then again, you can hang on to your 888/24's and use them as legacy.

then again, you will need a sync i/o which doesn't work with LE.

then again, there are some TDM only plugs.

then again, LE is much cheaper and people do good to great work on it.

then again, you can't do 5.1 unles yu compromise with jury rigging -- a client could suddenly ask for DVD mix.

then again, it all depends on your business and client needs.

then again, video solutions in LE can be limited if you have only one FW port and you use an 002 and a canopus.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 01-22-2006, 10:18 AM

Re: PT7 to 6 compatibility. Is PT 6 unable to read PT 7 files? Is there a save as copy function to save as PT 6? Sorry to misdirect the thread a bit.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2006, 11:45 AM

another thing to consider:

the 192 sounds MUCH better than an 002! A/D AND D/A.

and, of course, MUCH MICH better than the 888!
Undertone on Facebook

-Starcrash
Old 01-22-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Re: PT7 to 6 compatibility. Is PT 6 unable to read PT 7 files? Is there a save as copy function to save as PT 6? Sorry to misdirect the thread a bit.

Thanks
Yes there is a "save as" function to where you can save as older versions of PT. I think it may even go back to version 5, but I've never used it so I'm not sure.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:40 PM

but wait but wait but WAIT!!

i thought of a big thing:

snapshot & trim automation.

i mixed a short non-profit org doc (15min's) on my LE rig and i was alwys reaching for the automation functions i have in TDM. LE's automation is limited. if you are an advanced automation user, you will be dissapointed with LE v TDM! but, yes, you CAN work it. just not as fast!
Undertone on Facebook

-Starcrash
Old 01-22-2006, 06:23 PM

The big one for me is simply that host based processing causes the computer to slow down as you start racking up the CPU usage. My dual 1.2 goes ALMOST as fast as I do with my Mix system, but the same system in the LE edit room is PAINFULLY slow when you start adding in some plugs. I know the new G5's are going to be killer fast, but Murphy's law states that no matter how much power you have you'll need more. I like the knowledge that I can run my system at maximum capacity (and I often do) and it will respond just as fast as when I do a small edit session. That's why we've decided to go with HD upgrades for the same reasons that you are. And we too asked the same question...

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada