Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2004, 10:49 AM

Default I canīt record/playback to/from my firewire drive

PLEASE HELP!!!!
Iīve been using 002 on G5 with an Altum firewire drive since a year and a half ago and suddenly my system reports this problem out of nowhere:
Canīt create a new session on my external drive, and this message pops up:

"Session must be on a record audio volume"

Canīt playback any other session from the same drive. While session is loading Iīm asked to check disk allocation and then all audio files apparently have been moved to the Macintosh HD. I cancel this and when session is loaded this message appears:

"Audio files are on volumes unsuitable for playback. Would you like to copy them to a suitable volume?"

When a try lo allocate files the only suitable volume is Macintosh HD, but, as you might guess, this means another kind of problems.

I reformatted and re-partitioned the external drive and I reinstalled Pro Tools and none of this seemed to work it out.
Am I missing something???
Old 12-11-2004, 11:08 AM

Default Re: I canīt record/playback to/from my firewire dr

Hey, I have a Lacie D2 120gig and I had the same problem as well, what worked for me was to go into the workspace and chaged the little "t" to an "r." Hope it works for you too.
OSX 10.3.4
Waves Diamond 5.0
Old 12-11-2004, 02:56 PM

Default Re: I canīt record/playback to/from my firewire drive

I've got a LaCie 80GB firewire HD and I've had no problems recording or playing back sessions. I wouldn't recommend recording and playing back from an external HD but if you don't have an extra separate internal HD from your OS, I guess you have no other choice.

As for your problem, i think you'll need to narrow the possibilties of what it could be. Is it a cable connection problem, a HD problem, a software problem, etc. Have you tried to move files to and from your firewire HD to your Mac HD?

If you have access to another internal HD, I'd see if you can create and open sessions from it. If you can't open or create sessions from the other internal HD, you might have a software problem.

In any case, I hope you get your system up and running again real soon.

PT2023 on 2023 Mac Studio M2 Ultra
Apollo X8P & Twin Quad Mk2, UAD Octo Satellite, Avid Dock, Avid S1, Console 1, Digi002, 2016 MacBook Pro running PT2020
Old 12-11-2004, 03:07 PM

Default Hey!!! It worked!!!!

Hey man!!! It worked. Thanks a lot.
Do you know what causes this to happen? I mean, I didnīt change that setting in the workspace, and nobody else has access to my computer!!!
Old 12-11-2004, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Hey!!! It worked!!!!

I've just recently seen this happen on two friends' systems. At least one of the spontaneous "r" to "t" changes happened when he installed a new printer driver (although the external PT drive was not connected at the time). The next time he hooked up the external drive and 002r he started getting the "suitable drive" type messages. It's a very weird problem. But hey, thanks to this forum, I was able to find the fix!