Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2009, 03:22 PM

Default Word clock

I have been thinking about spending a little $ to make some aural improvements. Besides a better quality pre, (Summit Audio 2BA-221), I hve been seeing that a better quality clock is a real step up. What do you guys think and is this a better clock than what is in my 003r?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GENx192/

Lucid GENx192
Old 08-09-2009, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Word clock

imo and obviously budget depending, i would find pre's and converters more important. if only a couple channels is all you need you really cant beat an api a2d, 2 mic pre's, converters, and clock. if you need more channels, look into an rme fireface 800/400. used these can be CHEAP in comparison to lots of other options. the pre's, clock, and converters are all pretty good, not great but better than the 00 series.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 08-09-2009, 11:53 PM

It depends on what you do with your setup. If you only record one ch. at a time and your mixing sessions dont go far into 30+ channels, I'd go with the recomenation from Guitardom.
But if your rig is for postproduction,allways in 48 or even 64 channels, then the Lucid is definately a big plus.

I own this peace of kit (Lucid GENx192) and it definately refines/clears up, what comes out of the monitors, and I'm not chasing as many ghosts as before.

Golli.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:16 AM

Once again, external clock does not improve converter performance at all. No matter Big Ben, Grimm, Antelope, or Lucid. It's the same type of audiofraud as esoteric cables. Better converters are immune to it; lesser converters will only suffer increased jitter from it vs. internal sync.

The fireface isn't terribly much better as a converter than the 003...I would pick the M-Audio 2626 over either for conversion. The preamps on all of those are miserable.

The Summit is I understand a fairly noisy preamp no one writes home about. I would probably go AEA TRP in that price range, though it has no phantom power (you can add the audiotechnica phantom supply if you want), it does have stereo. If you want tube the UA Solo 610 is certainly the choice over the summit; you will continue to use it as a DI after you've outgrown it as a main pre.

"I'm seeing"...Is there another forum where you guys are getting infected with this clock and cable and BLA mod and whatever other BS? I may have to join and pop a couple cans a whupass. You guys can make whatever mistakes you want but fraud is not cool.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.