How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2017, 10:54 AM

Default Low input volume with an Audio Technica AT2020

Hi guys. I need help ASAP.

I'm trying to record things with an AT2020 ( condenser mic ) with an Eleven Rack. The mic input is selected and the 48V switch is turned on, but the audio signal is too low, also if cranking the gain.

What should I do?

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Low input volume with an Audio Technica AT2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony GreenMountain. View Post
Hi guys. I need help ASAP.

I'm trying to record things with an AT2020 ( condenser mic ) with an Eleven Rack. The mic input is selected and the 48V switch is turned on, but the audio signal is too low, also if cranking the gain.

What should I do?

Thanks.
It's hard to know where to start without knowing exactly what you are trying to do and how much experience you have with Pro Tools or whatever DAW you are using.

How are you determining the mic input level is too low? What dBFS level on the Pro Tools meters is the input at?

Make sure your Pro Tools meters are in pre-fader mode and classic meter type. Input levels somewhere in the ballpark of -16dBFS or so is fine. You do not need to and should not try to record "hot" signals. Input gain is totally different than output volume. If you want volume turn up the volume knob on you monitors. If you need to balance levels in the mix, that's what faders, clip gain and plugins are for.

Has this mic worked OK for you elsewhere? The mic cable you are using is known to work OK?

What are you recording? Acoustic guitar? Vocals? Electric guitar cab? etc. where is the mic positioned relative to the source.

Do you understand how to use a large diaphragm condenser mic? (point the side of the cylinder (labeled "front"), not the top of the mic at the sound source).

To be clear, what gain are you talking about? The mic gain on the Eleven Rack front panel? (lots of new uses confuse fader level and mic preamp gain).

Make sure the Pad button on the Eleven Rack is not engaged.

If stuff just sounds too quiet... What monitors or headphones are you using? Are you driving them from the Eleven Rack or another interface? Do you understand all the separate relevant volume levels that could affect what you hear? (Pro Tools Master Fader, Eleven Rack main volume, Eleven Rack headphone volume, etc.)

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-09-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:17 AM

Okay. First of all sorry if I replied late, but I was really busy.

Anyway: the level is under -32db ( I'm using FL Studio ). The mic has worked perfectly with another interface ( a Behringer U-phoria ), and the cable is okay ( if we use a dynamic mic, it works perfectly ). I'm trying to record vocals and acoustic guitar and yes, I understand how the mic works. When talking about gain, I'm referring about the preamp gain ( so aye, the gain knob on the Eleven panel ) and yup, the PAD switch is turned off. I'm using some studio headphones plugged directly into the Eleven.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:16 PM

Mmm the gain on the Eleven Rack preamp is not great and I have never used a U-phoria. But if you have both interfaces in front of you I would swap the mic and cable between them and confirm the Mic is still OK.

Large diaphragm mics can be fragile to handling etc.

You should check the phantom power voltage, ideally with the Mic connected (undo one head shell on a cable if possible and probe the pins from there).

Make sure you are using the Mic input on the Eleven rack in your DAW and you are not for example trying to record rig output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2017, 12:23 PM

And specifically the mono track in your DAW should be recording input #2. Which may or may not be labeled "Mic In".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2017, 01:07 PM

Mh, I'll try ASAP. I'll let you know. Thanks a lot.