Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2017, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Purpose of Outputs on HD IO 16x16 Analog

Yes the analog controls are for cotrolling MONITORS, and it has absolutely no relevancy for what happens in the PT session. Those are two separate things, completely.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
The C|24 control surface is essentially a big mouse
Essentially, yes. But it also has a monitor controller built in
Old 04-10-2017, 10:05 AM

You will still need to use a minimum of 2 of your 16 outputs to feed the stereo signal from Protools to the C24 monitor inputs. The only way your C/24 can control your monitors is from a stereo feed from Protools out of your 16 I/O connected to the monitor inputs of your C/24.

Feel free to PM me, we can set up a phone call where I can walk you through all of this.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 04-10-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
You will still need to use a minimum of 2 of your 16 outputs to feed the stereo signal from Protools to the C24 monitor inputs. The only way your C/24 can control your monitors is from a stereo feed from Protools out of your 16 I/O connected to the monitor inputs of your C/24.
True. But this is the case with every other brand monitor controller
Old 04-10-2017, 10:58 AM

You are mistakingly thinking that the I/O on the C 24 will get its signal from ProTools without being connected to your HD I/O and that is not the case.

You seem to not be reading my posts or ignoring or not understanding them. Since Barry seems to have the free time available, I'd take him up on he offer for a call.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Sorry, but you have some fundamental misunderstandings about how things work. You desperately need to hire an experienced engineer that's familiar with studio installs.

for example....

The I/O on the C24 needs to be fed, and it's the outputs of the HD I/O that will do it. Further, the C24 doesn't actually mix anything, that happens inside PT.
Quote:
You are mistakingly thinking that the I/O on the C 24 will get its signal from ProTools without being connected to your HD I/O and that is not the case.

You seem to not be reading my posts or ignoring or not understanding them. Since Barry seems to have the free time available, I'd take him up on he offer for a call.
Drew, im reading every post in the thread and trying to absorb as best I can. I did start the thread by saying I'm new to the hardware. I haven't used pro tools since I had a digi001. I have been using integrated stuff until now. I think my issue comes down to configuring IO in pro tools. High level responses from members have been helpful in identifying the gaps. I feel that I need to figure out how to work with the IO matrix dialog. I am trying to make sense of a lot at one time. The other issue is determining what input to use on the C24. My gut tells me it's the "pro tools in" DB25 connector, but I'm not sure about that.

If my questions fall below the threshold of what's acceptable, let me know and I'll stop asking.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:23 PM

The manual which you can get online shows the DB25 Connections on the back of the C24.

And to be honest that manual can help you set up everything step-by-step.

As far as cabling goes digidesign/avid used to sell a C 24 cable kit, about 400 or so dollars and it was the connections in between the HD I/O and the C 24
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP View Post
If my questions fall below the threshold of what's acceptable, let me know and I'll stop asking.
no such threshold here!!

The main misunderstanding you have is that the C24's I/O aren't "seen" by PT. They need to be fed by the ins/outs of the HD I/O.

Have you read this document? It lays it all out.

https://www.avid.com/~/media/avid/fi...uide_41362.pdf

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
no such threshold here!!

The main misunderstanding you have is that the C24's I/O aren't "seen" by PT. They need to be fed by the ins/outs of the HD I/O.

Have you read this document? It lays it all out.

https://www.avid.com/~/media/avid/fi...uide_41362.pdf
Yep. I think I understand where this is leading now, but please correct me if I don't. For the purpose of creating an output for a headphone distribution box, I might do the following:

-- I will need a DB25 to DB25 cable to connect the out of the HD IO to the "pro tools in" (I think) on the C24.
-- I will need to somehow map a stereo out from the HD IO back into the C24.
-- For each track I want on the cue, I will need to map their outputs to the stereo out I mapped on the HD IO. Not sure about this...
-- Then feed channels 1 & 2 on the cue output, to the L&R inputs on the distribution box.

Not sure, but likely would have to do something similar for control room monitors and live room monitors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
TAs far as cabling goes digidesign/avid used to sell a C 24 cable kit, about 400 or so dollars and it was the connections in between the HD I/O and the C 24
Yes, and while it sounds expensive, it is actually a bargain. I spent almost a thousand when I ordered custom-made cables from proaudiola.com (but I was so happy about the quality of their work I didn't mind the price)