Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2019, 11:55 AM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

So according to AVID numbers

360.00 per year rental @ 5 years = 1800
You can buy a 6 core mac mini with less cash than that WITH Logic.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_uk View Post
There is talk regarding re-instatment after letting a licence expire.
Dont wish to give wrong info, so an explanation on that one would be welcome.
I think they are waiting to see how many non-compliants they have first.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
What words come to mind here? Probably the most galling, humiliating, annoying, irritating, vexing, vexatious, infuriating, maddening, irksome, provoking, exasperating, trying, tiresome, troublesome, bothersome, displeasing, disagreeable thing Avid has ever pulled.

You've just opened the door Avid and customers are walking right out! DUMB!
+1000

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 06-19-2019, 12:12 PM

Avid will never answer this question...
But...
Is the money from all the Pt Ultimate Users, who paid 2500 for their licences and 399 EVERY year not enough?
Is the money from all standard Users and their payment fόr the plan per year not enough?

no... it seems not...

Cause Avid wants more and more and more...

for one Update per year... nice what a great business model...
Destroying all perpetual users to shift to a model, which provides...one update per year...

Adobe kept their promise, when changing to the subscription model... They delivered updates, every month... Bug fixes, new features...

And what is Avid doing?... You can answer that for yourself...

Avid will go the step and will cancel all perpetual licence options, to get money....This is their goal and it will happen...

How much money do Avid need, to keep their promise to deliver updates and features in the time frame, they have promised...

Avid makes marketing for the comeptitors.... Logic as whole DAW costs 200 Dollars... As Protools Standard User you have to pay this price now every Year...nice...

I will stay with Avid now as HDX User, but i started to work with Nuendo, cause i know Avid is a dead end and i have to accept, that i spent thousands of dollars (Interfaces, HDX...) in a company, which is not interested in their customers... More, Avid tries to milk their customers... and step by step they try to find out the borders, how much they can grab from their loyal user base... :-(
Old 06-19-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackerLe View Post
Avid will go the step and will cancel all perpetual licence options, to get money....This is their goal and it will happen...
If they rescind all updates for perpetual license holders, that automatically will create a bunch of frozen systems and a stampede to competing platforms for small-time folks like me. I have been buying upgrades for PT since version 6.something. AVID really doesn't want my money I guess.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
If they rescind all updates for perpetual license holders, that automatically will create a bunch of frozen systems and a stampede to competing platforms for small-time folks like me. I have been buying upgrades for PT since version 6.something. AVID really doesn't want my money I guess.
They didn't say they were doing that. They DID say they would continue to offer them. You can buy a Perpetual license now. You can buy Support for that now. You can even buy Support for a few years out at the current reduced rate that will cover you until Avid or you make another move one way or another.

They COULD kill off Perpetual licenses and they may someday but it is THEIR business and THEIR model for it. IF they did that, I agree quite a few users will walk, the impact on those users would be tremendous as well as on Avid especially to it's current sullied reputation.

All that said, we have our choices to make; good, bad and indifferent.

I'd just like to suggest that everyone evaluate their current status and make an informed decision devoid of emotion that is not making you "go off the rails" so to speak.

Good luck everyone!

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 06-19-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post
They didn't say they were doing that. They DID say they would continue to offer them. You can buy a Perpetual license now. You can buy Support for that now. You can even buy Support for a few years out at the current reduced rate that will cover you until Avid or you make another move one way or another.

They COULD kill off Perpetual licenses and they may someday but it is THEIR business and THEIR model for it. IF they did that, I agree quite a few users will walk, the impact on those users would be tremendous as well as on Avid especially to it's current sullied reputation.

All that said, we have our choices to make; good, bad and indifferent.

I'd just like to suggest that everyone evaluate their current status and make an informed decision devoid of emotion that is not making you "go off the rails" so to speak.

Good luck everyone!
Yes you are correct. They haven't said they will do it. I do think they are considering it though. You are dealing with creative people, so emotion is part of life.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancyO View Post
YES this appears to be a funtastic alternative

ps: it opens/runs more than 1Session at a time
If they keep ****tin like this it will be a pleasure to learn a new DAW, I still have a year of updates, let's see if they deliver more than 3 features and 2 useless plugins like last year
Old 06-19-2019, 02:36 PM

AVID claims:
"Q) Is there a limit on how many renewals I can purchase on my active Perpetual plan?
A) There is no limit. You can buy multiple renewals at the current price prior to 7/1/2019 and they will be added to your current plan.
Ex. Update Plan expires in September 2019, purchase 6 Renewals, new expiration date will be September 2025. "

Q) Will AVID still exist in 2025 ?

this new pricing is promotion for other DAWs! I'm using Pro Tools since 1996 (native); I paid every update all these years, but no one except AVID beats its customers that way.

Do you AVID really think, you have to double or triple the price for an annual update plan or now for an annual subscription ???

Who really wants „subscriptions“ ??? I don't do it. I don't use software for "rent".
Old 06-19-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by risey View Post
Yeah man, until u experienced all the problems with Pro Tools people that have been using Cubase for ages do not realise what a great DAW they have lol...
  • Lower CPU Usage
  • Less Crashes
  • No Corrupt Saves
  • Nice Customisable GUI
  • Wealth of free plugins (THAT ARE USEFUL)
  • Awesome sound engine
Plus you get $330.00 cross grade discount on the pro version.... and would have to say a slightly better MIDI implementation... imo
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————