Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-28-2013, 08:23 AM

Default BM Intensity - 16x9 cropped to 4x3

I've converted nearly a hundred QTs from 'odd' sizes that the Intensity card doesn't like into the 2 'standard' HD sizes using MPEGStreamclip with no issues. I am doing shorter length stuff tho (promos, sizzles, etc, under 5 mins). What everyone said here is correct, BM is very picky and won't even play things that are too far away from what it likes.

Like mentioned earlier, if you have mixed sizes on the same video track, one will be resized too small. Creating another video track will fix it, which can be a PITA keeping the one you want active. Looks great once you get past all this nonsense tho! Mojo won't even play HD
Old 10-17-2014, 02:48 PM

Default Re: BM Intensity - 16x9 cropped to 4x3

Hoping someone might have figured this out.

We are having these type of issues with Decklink HD Extreme 3d Plus. Pro Tools 10 will display DNxHD175 1080p 23.98 movies as 576p, 720p or 1080p depending on what computer creates them.

Using various tools to look at deep settings (like Media Info Mac, Drastic Preview, etc.) the metadata is exactly the same.

I finally tried to use Mp4tools to transcode a pass-through version to see what would happen and although the transcode failed, the logs had a great clue.

On a 1080p DNxHD .mov that Pro Tools interprets and displays as 720p (BAD), these two settings appear as this:

"sample_aspect_ratio": "1:1",
"display_aspect_ratio": "16:9"

In a 1080p DNxHD .mov that Pro Tools interprets and displays correctly as 1080p (good), these settings are:

"sample_aspect_ratio": "0:1"
"display_aspect_ratio": "0:1"

I don't know WHY this is happening though. Anyone?
Old 10-18-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spigots View Post
Hoping someone might have figured this out.

We are having these type of issues with Decklink HD Extreme 3d Plus. Pro Tools 10 will display DNxHD175 1080p 23.98 movies as 576p, 720p or 1080p depending on what computer creates them.

Using various tools to look at deep settings (like Media Info Mac, Drastic Preview, etc.) the metadata is exactly the same.

I finally tried to use Mp4tools to transcode a pass-through version to see what would happen and although the transcode failed, the logs had a great clue.

On a 1080p DNxHD .mov that Pro Tools interprets and displays as 720p (BAD), these two settings appear as this:

"sample_aspect_ratio": "1:1",
"display_aspect_ratio": "16:9"

In a 1080p DNxHD .mov that Pro Tools interprets and displays correctly as 1080p (good), these settings are:

"sample_aspect_ratio": "0:1"
"display_aspect_ratio": "0:1"

I don't know WHY this is happening though. Anyone?
Try transcoding them. Seems like whoever made the DNxHD did something not quite right. Also, even though the issue isn't with the PAL resolution file, you shouldn't use DNxHD for SD resolutions. Even though you may be able to in QuickTime, it does have the correct "profiles" for it.

It could be the case that someone told QuickTime to export at 1080P but used a 720P version of the CODEC. The export settings and version of the CODEC must match.

It's not like ProRes where you just select the type or ProRes you want (4444, HQ, LT etc.) and QuickTime does the rest. In the QuickTime video settings you'll have a drop down list, carefully make sure you select the correct one.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:30 AM

Hi chaps. I've had this issue before on all the decklink cards used in our studios here.

The issue is with the BM card recognising vertical lines in a given resolution and assuming the rest. 1024x576 is not a video resolution - it's a graphics resolution. So the BM card reads the video as 576 vertical lines and interprets this as 576i - which is PAL 4:3 (720x576). It truncates the horizontal pixels beyond 720.

I haven't found a workaround other than transcoding the video.. which shouldnt take you too long. I can't find the link now.. but there was a user who did some extensive testing on the best codec for protools weighing up size vs picture quality. Since then, i always transcode to 720p (or 1080p if i'm in the big rooms) with photoJPEG codec at 93% quality. Though, any intra-frame codec will be substantially better than inter-frame long GOP codecs like h264.