Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-26-2003, 03:11 PM

Default Maxim / dither plugin on master fader?

I was wondering if someone could help. I want to bounce to disk a mix. I have a master fader set up and am using Maxim with 16 bit dithering enabled. Is it Ok if the meters on the master fader go into the red althe time?? Or should I drop the level here. - it sounds fine.

Thanks for the help!

Voltech
Old 08-26-2003, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Maxim / dither plugin on master fader?

Hello and welcome to the world of mastering.

I can't really say much as Im learning about this too.

But i've learnt from others here, that unless you are a pro mastering engineer who knows what hes doing, then don't let the faders hit the red.

Dont use maxim too much either, dont set the threshold too high, just enough to boost the output, and set the ceiling to -0.3db. That should sort you out for now.

Stu G
Old 08-26-2003, 03:54 PM

thanks for the help..
Old 08-26-2003, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I was wondering if someone could help. I want to bounce to disk a mix. I have a master fader set up and am using Maxim with 16 bit dithering enabled. Is it Ok if the meters on the master fader go into the red althe time?? Or should I drop the level here. - it sounds fine.

Thanks for the help!

Voltech
Don't let the master fader go into the red. I use Maxim on every session, but I don't use the dither feature on it. Instead I use the digi dither, right after the Maxim. On the Maxim a good setting is 'threshold, -3, 'ceiling -.5 and .1 ms. I got these settings from a guy on the TDM forum. I like these settings. Before you drop you levels on the master fader, (which you want to keep at 0db) try dropping other levels on hot tracks. You don't want to record hot with digital. If you clip anywhere, go back and adjust.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:45 AM

Again.. Thanks for the help on Maxim

Voltech