Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 09-13-2018, 07:56 AM

Default Avid says we have to use Ethernet, so it means using iPad's battery?

Well, it's all pretty much in the title... Avid says to use Ethernet instead WiFi, right?

So, to connect the iPad with ethernet I need a lightening adapter, so I won't be able to connect the iPad to power

Am I right?

Do you run it on battery?

It seems so inconvenient to me... and also battery won't last like 8 hours or more

what do you do to solve this problem?

Thanks
Old 09-13-2018, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Avid says we have to use Ethernet, so it means using iPad's battery?

Nope.

To run it on ethernet you need the Apple Camera Connection kit and the Apple 100Mbit Ethernet adapter. The Camera Connection Kit allows you to power the iPad and Ethernet adapter at the same time. (and it is required to have the iPad on plugged-in power or the Ethernet adapter won't work)

Can't use the 1GB ethernet adapter with iPads
Old 09-13-2018, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Avid says we have to use Ethernet, so it means using iPad's battery?

but I don't get how it can power the iPad... I searched camera connection kit and it is a lightening to usb adapter... so if I plug the ethernet adapter to this what will I use to power the iPad?
Old 09-13-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattian View Post
but I don't get how it can power the iPad... I searched camera connection kit and it is a lightening to usb adapter... so if I plug the ethernet adapter to this what will I use to power the iPad?
The camera connection kit has both a usb port (where you plug the ethernet dongle) and a lighting port on one side. The other side is the lighting cable to be plugged into the iPad. So you plug the camera connection kit into the iPad and then on the other side you plug the lighting power supply into one side of the Camera Connection kit and the Ethernet dongle into the usb port. The power supply then powers the ethernet dongle and the iPad at the same time.

This is the one you want:
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-MK0W2AM...connection+kit

And the ethernet dongle:
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-USB-Eth...to+usb+adapter
Old 09-14-2018, 09:17 AM
Avid

Its not a requirement either...its just a more reliable performance. (I don't use or need one on my system BTW)
Old 09-14-2018, 08:21 PM

I also just use the wifi connection. Hasn't caused me any issues thus far.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 09-18-2018, 11:42 AM

I use mine WiFi and don't have any issues.. my router is in the same room as my iPad/Dock though. If you're going across a studio or in a different room than your router, I can see how you might need to add an Access Point, or a range extender.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Its not a requirement either...its just a more reliable performance. (I don't use or need one on my system BTW)
Ok, I hope so... i’m Kind of tired of latencies and stuff... most controllers stop later than the point where you felt it was right... and I hate that thing... so I thought it was imperative to use ethernet... will see if I get it if i’ll be more sensitive than you or if wi fi will be enough

Thanks