Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Hard Drive Not Playable Audio Drive

I tried to open a session today and it told me my disc allocation was not correct. I checked the new allocation and said it was not ok. Then, it said my FW drive was not a playable audio drive (something to that affect) and asked if I wanted to copy all of the session audio to another drive. I used it last on Friday (2 days ago) and no problems. This is the first I've had problems with this drive. It's a Western Digital drive in a Mercury enclosure (Macsales.com) with an Oxford 922 chipset (same as 911 but FW800, i'm using the FW400 port).

From a Mac perspective, Disc Utility says it's fine and I can read all of the files on it. I tried switching FW ports with my other drive and no luck. Digi, I admit that I'm on OS 10.3.9 (unsupported) but have never had problems before now. So far I tried Disc Utility, rebooting, and switching the FW cable and port. Still same issue. I'm upgrading to Tiger now to see if that fixes it (by using a supported OS version).

Has anyone else seen this issue though? Thanks.

PS - Yes, files are backed-up.

--
lance
Old 05-30-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Hard Drive Not Playable Audio Drive

workspace browser. In the 'A' column, the drive is set to "T" and it needs to be set to "R" or "P".

Search the forum for "volume not suitable for playback" and you'll find about a million other threads on the subject. Have fun!!
Old 05-30-2005, 07:30 PM

On occasion, Pro Tools determines (wrongfully) that a worthy firewire drive is not worthy. You can crown it worthy once more by going into the workspace. In there, you will see two columns marked A(udio) and V(ideo). In each column, for your firewire disk, there is either a T(ransfer) or P(layback) letter. Change that letter to R(ecord) and your drive will function as it did before.

Digi, please fix this bug! It dates back to v6.4.1 (at least)!
Old 05-30-2005, 07:33 PM

Quote:
workspace browser. In the 'A' column, the drive is set to "T" and it needs to be set to "R" or "P".

Search the forum for "volume not suitable for playback" and you'll find about a million other threads on the subject. Have fun!!
thanks guys. i'll try that when Tiger is ready. i did a few searches but didn't immediately find anything. so i tried a post. probably good to refresh it anyhow. thanks again.

--
lance
Old 05-31-2005, 08:33 AM
Avid

Lance -

Did you install any new software, update your OS or connect the offending drive to another computer recently?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Lance -

Did you install any new software, update your OS or connect the offending drive to another computer recently?
no, i didn't. the drive hasn't moved. i went ahead and installed Tiger and that reset the Workspace settings for me. everything works fine now. Digi, great job with Tiger! very smooth transition!

however, my CoreAudio problems remain. nothing but iTunes and Quicktime will play through CoreAudio. anything else won't connect.

--
lance