Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-26-2019, 08:58 AM

Default NI Battery 4/Eleven Rack Issue

Starting just about a month ago I began to experience Battery 4 plugin crashes on my system anytime I loaded a net kit or tried to make changes to an existing kit. The plugin would hang with the spinning disk until I eventually closed it which ended up crashing the plugin and generating a mini crash dump. PT then shuts down with an Access error message. Trashed PT prefs, removed and reinstalled Battery 4 and Library with no change in behavior. Upgraded from PT 12.4 to PT 2018.12, removed all other plugins except Battery 4, still no joy. Battery 4 runs fine in standalone throughout all of this.

Shut down my 11R and enabled ASIO4ALL for audio and Battery 4 runs normally except for pops and clicks from switching to ASIO4ALL. Removed and reinstalled 11R driver and it worked OK for a couple kit switches then began to hang again which may suggest a possible memory conflict going on between the plugin and my 11R. Running on Windows 10 Pro, nothing shows up in memory or disk diagnostics. Prior to the start of this all had been normal for about 2 years with no updates to either Battery 4 or the 11R. Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:42 AM

Default Re: NI Battery 4/Eleven Rack Issue

This seems pretty unusual.

Have you been careful about testing at the same IO Buffer size, sample rate, and sample depth? also try trashing prefs between tests, and make sure you are doing that fully correctly for your software versions... and/or use a utility to help.

I would not assume it is a memory conflict or anything Windows system level utilities will be able to identify. If you can reproduce this the best place to take the problem is the plugin manufacturer. They are in the best situation to debug what is going on.

If you wanted to push to the ultimate test, do a clean install of Windows and install just Pro Tools, ILM land the Eleven Rack driver and that plugin and see if it has the same problem.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:23 PM

Thanks Darryl. So far, taking care to check that all settings (Buffer, sample rate, etc.) are identical, tests still have the same result. I've got a work around for now running on a different interface when using Battery 4 and the 11R when I'm not concerned about Battery 4. Both work fine. I just can't make changes to Battery 4 kits when using the 11R, which has no problem with any other Native instruments plugins.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:18 PM

Sorry I have no other clues here, it is very unusual behavior.

One suggestion - not specific to Eleven Rack but a quick Google search of the NI forums shows a few folks having problems with Battery 4 crashing on changing rig settings with Pro Tools and maybe other DAWS. Did not notice any resolution but I did not look too hard.

e.g. Google the following

"Battery 4" crash "Pro Tools" change kit site:www.native-instruments.com

Turns up folks with problems.

---

Battery 4 crash Pro Tools "Eleven Rack" site:www.native-instruments.com

Finds nothing.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:20 AM

Thanks Darryl. I posted on the NI forum several times over the past 6 weeks...nothing from support. I guess there aren't enough people experiencing these crash problems to get any "traktion". Sweetwater folks helped me find a workaround, now using another interface when using Battery 4 and 11R otherwise. As long as I don't need to change kits or samples, 11R works fine when playing Battery tracks and all other NI instruments work normally as they have for several years.

In the meantime, I've upgraded to the latest Pro Tools and Plugin releases, reorganized and cleaned up a lot of data on my drives and just finished installing a new SSD. So my system is otherwise running better than ever as a result of trying to cure this weird issue. None of this changed the original problem. I'm glad that it isn't a broader issue with the 11R. I'll post back if I ever solve the puzzle.

Thanks again Darryl for your efforts, insights and comments.