Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2017, 07:45 AM

Default Missing Audio Files in Session [solved]

I recorded a song with a friend and saved it. When I opened it back up to finish mixing and there are now a TON of audio files missing. I have googled as much as I could and can't find anything that helps. I tried to copy and relink but it just tells me that "This operation cannot relink offline files".

Please Help!
Old 12-31-2017, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Missing Audio Files in Session

In the clip list on the right side of the screen, click Show>Full Path

Then do Select>Offline and you can see where it’s looking for those offline files. Maybe they’re still there and you can move them to the Audio Files folder, or maybe they’re on an external or something you accidentally trashed.

Hope that helps
Old 12-31-2017, 09:35 AM

Okay, I did that and it just highlighted them. How do I actually move them to the audio file/?
Old 01-01-2018, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardude422 View Post
Okay, I did that and it just highlighted them. How do I actually move them to the audio file/?
Go where the files are and copy them to your current audio files folder.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Missing Audio Files in Session [solved]

Or do a Save Session Copy and check the Audio Files box and PT will "pull it all together" for you.

once you've done this, you can delete the original. This might be preferred since the original session likely has Disc Allocation set wrong.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:06 AM

I have been doing this long enough to where I should be more on top of this problem...
A couple of weeks ago, we completed a large session.
When we brought it back a few days later, all of the original audio files were just ....missing.
All of the tracks we had created later were there.
I did the "Show full path" option in the regions...er....clips list. (See? way too long) and it turns out, we transferred the original tracks from a USB stick and never really told PT to copy the files....it was referencing them from the stick.
When we re-opened, the stick was not attached.
I know this is a very simple, beginner level thing to check, but after 20 years, this is about the 10th time this has bitten me.
It could also be an external drive that was unwittingly attached when you started the session.
It can drive you nuts.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:26 AM

I have tried everything that you guys have shown me but I got nothing. I tried to "save copy in" and click audio files so that it would put it all together but when I went to the copy session it did not have the audio files still. I did not have it in a stick drive so it is still on this computer because I haven't deleted anything. When I "show full path" it shows where it should be but then I go there and it is not there on my computer.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:47 PM

I found out they are damaged and show up as 0 bytes. Any idea how to fix it?
Old 06-12-2018, 12:49 PM

I had something similar happen to a session today. We opened up a song to finish harmonies and half of the vocal audio files form several sessions before were "missing". I couldn't find them on the external disk and the autofind didn't work. I tried everything I could find online but didn't have any luck.

*Solution*
After messing with it I figured out if you right click the missing file in the "clips" window and click "show in finder", it some how find its on the drive. Then drag the clip into the session and the grayed out clip in the edit window is magically back.

Hope that makes sense and works for you!