Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2019, 09:21 AM

Default Workflow Switch between VR and Home Theater

I recently acquired the dolby production suite and am working on a project for an event. The event has an atmos surround already setup - they are running the sound direct from a pro tools session. So I simply need to provide them with my session and they will run it direct from Pro Tools with the Atmos Renderer. My question is regarding workflow. The video that will be playing back onsite is 4 walls of projection as well as a projection on the floor.

For in-studio work, the video team is handing me VR videos to score in my studio. My question is - is it possible to score to these VR vids in the home theater atmos setting, since that is what will be using onsite?

Or should I score these vids in the VR setting and then somehow switch to the Home Theater setting to prep the PT session for delivery on site?
Old 05-28-2019, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Workflow Switch between VR and Home Theater

Is there actually any head-tracking going on? If not, and the playback machine will be running in Home Theater mode, stick to that throughout.

For the sake of reliability and ease, I'd much rather see you playback an ADM or .atmos file in the space rather than the entire PT session, but that's a separate issue. I guess the advantage you'll have now is actually being able to revise the mix in the space when you're there. Sounds fun. Good luck!
Old 06-04-2019, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Workflow Switch between VR and Home Theater

Hey thanks!

Learned belatedly that dolby is no longer supporting the VR side of the renderer. So, I will stick with the home theater mix for sure.

Thanks again.