Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 02-11-2019, 09:12 AM

Default Drum sample to track/midi tools

Hi folks,

Just wondering with tools such as Massey DRT and Co, can you split a single audio (stereo) drum sample to its different kit components on a midi keyboard?
I've recently seen someone do something similar. I know the split is not going to be perfect, but he the guy was then able to play individual drum parts of the audio sample kit on a keyboard.

Would something like Massey DRT work for that? I've only seen it applied to already separated audio tracks.

If not, are there any other suggestions of tools that could do that?

Cheers!
Old 02-11-2019, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Drum sample to track/midi tools

You can separate the hits manually, export and load them in a sample player like Structure Free included in PT.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:52 PM

Andrei is right. I'll just add a bit more to that.

Create an audio clip for each sample you want to include in a kit
Name the clips with something like "Kick C1", "Snare D2", etc where the note designation is what MIDI note will trigger the sample.

Export the samples (WAV files, 24bit 44.1k or 48k would be best)

Then, open Structure, and use the browser inside Structure to navigate to the folder where the clip samples are saved.
Then you can drag the samples in bulk over to an empty module in Structure. Each sample will automatically be assigned to the MIDI note designated in the clip name.

Now you can do whatever edits you wish and play the samples as a kit off Structure using those MIDI notes.

Good luck.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:52 AM

What they said^^^ Indeed, I have created new drum tracks from a single stereo drum mix with a lot of chop/copy/paste to new tracks and trigger with drum replacement plugins(done it with Drumagog and Slate Trigger).

As for something else, you might be shocked at how well Superior Drummer 3 will do this. Import the same mixed drum track multiple times and assign each to your sound of choice(IOW, set one for Kick, another for Snare, another for hihat, etc) and let the plugin analyze. I was stunned at how well it did

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave