How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 05-28-2017, 02:38 AM

Default Error Message when Opening AAF File

Hello,
When attempting to open/import an AAF file, I am getting the following message:

"Could not complete your request because file is not a Pro Tools session or OMFI file.. "

I have opened AAF files before so PT does support them, so I'm a bit puzzled by this message.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 05-31-2017, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Error Message when Opening AAF File

Sounds like a corrupt AAF. Like something crashed while it was being generated.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Error Message when Opening AAF File

Funny - I'm getting the same error message using PT12.7.1, just a few days after Sean. According to AVID's Knowledgebase, it's an error message that came up with an early version of PT11 when network drives had the same name, but I'm not on a network. I also tried importing the same AAF on a different machine running 12.5 and got the same error message, so maybe it is a corrupt AAF, but I find it odd that Sean had the same problem a week ago.

***EDIT***
So apparently it was a bad AAF, and the editor sent a new one that worked, but after working on it for several hours I went to bed, and got the same error when trying to open the session the next day. It seems the session was still trying to reference the AAF, even though I had selected "Copy audio from Source" when importing the AAF. The AAFs were generated from an AVID, so you'd think they'd be compatible, but no.

Anyway, the only fix was to open a new session and import all the tracks, AND THEN (this is very important) SAVE a copy and include audio files! This forces Pro Tools to make new copies of all the audio files it was still referencing from the AAF. Your first new session won't work, it will still try to reference the AAF and crash on opening, but the copy will work.

Rig 1: 2.8GHz Macbook Pro PT 12.7.1 Logic 10.3.2 Scarlett 18i20
Rig 2: 2.66 QuadCore Intel Xeon Logic 10.2.0 Scarlett 18i20 PTHD10.3.10

Last edited by Sonny Keyes; 06-03-2017 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Found more info