Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-14-2007, 11:25 AM

Default Pro Tools Won\'t Start (again?!)

Hi, I've recently run into an issue with my Pro Tools LE system. I have an MBox2 hooked up to a Macbook Pro. I have a 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo processor and 2GB of RAM installed. I'm running OS X 10.4.9, but I upgraded my Pro Tools LE to version 7.3.1 and it has been running fine on my computer since then. I recently tried to open Pro Tools and it just bounced in the dock once or twice and then never opened, similarly to the way it reacted when I first upgraded to OS X 10.4.9. The problem this time is, there haven't been any system upgrades. The only things that have been updated recently are Quicktime and AirPort. Does anyone have a similar problem/know how to get Pro Tools running again? Thanks to anyone who can help.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Won\'t Start (again?!)

Quicktime breaks PTLE again, that's your problem. As does the most recent security update. You need to run the pace prebinding script - www.paceap.com/prebind_script.dmg

If that fails run the 10.4.9 combo updater again, and then try the script one more time.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:58 PM

Thanks for that post!

I was just experiencing the same problem. The Pace update worked great, although I had already just uninstalled and reinstalled PT (which didn't work until I saw your message). I wish Pro Tools would have given an error message of some sort - that would have been very helpful.

Elsa
Old 05-15-2007, 09:14 AM

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! that was a real killer... worked like a charm
Old 05-15-2007, 12:18 PM

Well

PT down!!! i reckon thats utter BS!! how am i suposed to know when i can and cant update?

i ran that program thing but i could not enter anything when asked for my password so know i am downloading COMBO again and hope for the better...

if PT keeps going lik this i really hope LOGIC comes with something new and great soon

M.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Well
PT down!!! i reckon thats utter BS!! how am i suposed to know when i can and cant update?

i ran that program thing but i could not enter anything when asked for my password so know i am downloading COMBO again and hope for the better...

if PT keeps going lik this i really hope LOGIC comes with something new and great soon

When you enter your password in the Terminal window (ie, when you run the prebinding script) it doesn't show any feedback - it doesn't look like you're typing anything. But you are, just type your password and hit return and it should work.

As for knowing when you can and can't update, basically, don't ever do it immediately unless you absolutely have to. Then check in here for a bit after things are released and see if there are any reports of problems.

The Digidesign compatibility index is your friend.

If your system is working fine, do you absolutely need to update right away?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:57 PM

hmm guess thats a fair enough comment....

just really looked forward to work in protools and i do like it! but theres always something..... i ran Logic express 7.2 and i got better performance( even though i only have 1gb Ram and no external harddrive) i do understand i need these things but i wonder how in logic in can have 23 audiotracks numerous instrument tracks with no real hassle and PT locks me down with DAE errors all the time...

i have to say i prefer the PT way of working, midi and audio... however what if do get 2 or even 3gb ram and an external harddrive with the famous Oxford Chip (MAXTOR onetouch III has oxford 924,that would work right)and nothing changes then i am just afraid that i still battle the things i deal with now...

Also i do miss some good plugins (like in logic, shame one cant use them in PT)

so basically i bought a iMac C2D 2.16 which i think is very fast but PT has other plans...

sorry just venting a bit... why is there no freeze by the way?

so there you have it i like PT a lot besides the fact that i seem to spend more time doing other things than my music

thanks for comment!

cheers and stay tuned,
M.

P.S. after reinstalling COMBO 10.4.9 PT started up again... (until the next episode)