Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2019, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Master fader on an aux signal flow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticmike View Post
Wrong, just as the mod said, auxes can have master faders too.
OK. I was wrong about that.
Technically one would assign a MF to control a bus then, not a aux. A aux already has a fader and inserts, right?
I stand by the rest of my post.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:21 AM

You could think of it as this: master faders trim the level of destinations, either the sum of all channels assigned to a bus or the sum of all channels assigned to a physical output.

So if an aux channel has an input assigned to a bus, the master fader assigned to that bus will trim the level of the signal before the input to the aux channel. I put this MF to the left of the aux channel in the mixer because I visualize the signal flow of my mixer from left to right, with all signals summed to an aux labelled “Mix”.

I create a MF labelled “mMix” assigned to bus “mix” to trim the level of the signal before it hits the inserts of the “Mix” bus. An old avid document created for the Icon Controllers suggested some terminology that I still adopt: “mMix” is the master fader controlling the bus “mix”, “sMix” is the sub master, or aux assigned to have “mix” as the input. I also have channels labelled “sDrums”, “sGtrs”, and if I feel the need to trim the level to these auxes I will add “mDrums”, “mGtrs”, etc. These auxes, along with all channels and fx, feed “sMix”. I can then bounce to disk (or record to a new track using a parallel output bus that I label “print”) from the output of sMix, which is also assigned to the physical output feeding my studio monitors.

Last edited by asm; 12-22-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticmike View Post
Hi there,

How will the signal be routed if a master fader track is assigned to an aux? Will it be before the aux? Which means channel to master fader aux to aux?

I'd love to use it that way because then I'd get 10 more inserts on my aux without having to send it through another aux.
Yes this works, but keep in mind, the inserts on a master fader are not delay compensated. Also, keep in mind, the volume of the master fader applies BEFORE the inserts on the master fader (hence the lack of delay compenstation). On an aux the faders volume is applied AFTER the inserts.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:19 AM

I have 2 thoughts:
#1-instead of routing thru a MASTER fader, just route thru an AUX track. That gives you the same additional inserts and everything inserted on the AUX is AFTER everything on the source track, and BEFORE the AUX fader.

#2-reconsider things a bit. If it takes more than 10 inserts to make something sound right, 1 of 2 things might be going on. 1-maybe you are using inserts for things that are better done with sends to aux tracks(reverbs and delays) and 2-some things should have been better recorded so they don't need so many plugins to fix(and if that's what you're stuck with, you could be doing some of this with AudioSuite or track commit).

Just suggestions

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-23-2019, 09:25 AM

Yes! How many compressors and eqs you used per channel on analog console? I understand Avid needed to spice the insert count to 10 for marketing reasons but those are not good reasons to actually use more than five
Old 12-23-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I have 2 thoughts:
#1-instead of routing thru a MASTER fader, just route thru an AUX track. That gives you the same additional inserts and everything inserted on the AUX is AFTER everything on the source track, and BEFORE the AUX fader.
This was the point I was trying to make earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
#2-reconsider things a bit. If it takes more than 10 inserts to make something sound right, 1 of 2 things might be going on. 1-maybe you are using inserts for things that are better done with sends to aux tracks(reverbs and delays) and 2-some things should have been better recorded so they don't need so many plugins to fix(and if that's what you're stuck with, you could be doing some of this with AudioSuite or track commit).
I was coming to that too.

Smart guy, this Albee.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:07 PM

You tend to go through a lot of effects when working on sound design elements.

Straight up music mixing? Sure, not a great need. But when working on weird sounds and textures, I’ve pushed the limit once or twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2019, 04:04 PM

Works for adding Post-Fader-Gain Inserts to Aux (outputs)

[Master Aux 15-16)
Aux 15-16 (This now has the above post fader inserts controlling)

Cool way to control the smash!
Old 12-23-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
You tend to go through a lot of effects when working on sound design elements.

Straight up music mixing? Sure, not a great need. But when working on weird sounds and textures, I’ve pushed the limit once or twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But of course. There is always the square peg that doesnt fit theougg round hole. Then again when I experiment I also sont mind using workarounds such as routing to another track. Was talking the "normal" situation if there is any
Old 12-23-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
But of course. There is always the square peg that doesnt fit theougg round hole. Then again when I experiment I also sont mind using workarounds such as routing to another track. Was talking the "normal" situation if there is any
Funny you should mention a secondary track. I have seen people duplicate a track with a different set of inserts to A/B between the two processing chains. I tend to load up inserts and bypass to evaluate. I guess that's another handy thing about 10 inserts.

I must try the duplicate way to see if it's more efficient in my workflow. I think if it's a radically different set of effects it would probably be better, but for a simple compressor or EQ evaluation, it might just be simply/tidier to have the inserts on the same track.

But yeah, everyone works differently.