Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-26-2013, 06:44 AM

Default Re: .mp4 plays in quicktime but not protools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarHole View Post
...I don't Like the Ida of tricking my system into working...
Ida Lupino. The Ida of tricking the system.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 01-26-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Ida Lupino. The Ida of tricking the system.

Sorry, idea. Darn ipad ;-)
Old 03-05-2013, 11:04 AM

Hi everybody.

Found this thread having the same problem. Switching the file end to mov wasn't successful, but really converting the file to QuickTime with MpegStreamclip (super Freeware) http://www.squared5.com made it play - with actually moving pictures in the video window! So that worked for me. You can try that too.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starting User View Post
Hi everybody.

Found this thread having the same problem. Switching the file end to mov wasn't successful, but really converting the file to QuickTime with MpegStreamclip (super Freeware) http://www.squared5.com made it play - with actually moving pictures in the video window! So that worked for me. You can try that too.
Compressor (the "app" from the app store) does this as well!

http://appshopper.com/mac/video/compressor

marty.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starting User View Post
Hi everybody.

mp4 is a file/codec type that Quicktime can play
Quicktime is not a codec it is a player app
mov is not a codec it is a general file type doc or txt

I'm sorry for the rant but so many people get this wrong

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-05-2013, 12:43 PM

mp4 files with H264 codec are sometimes made with something called AVC coding. Quicktime will play those files, PT will not.
Quicktime pro will convert them to a white video file with audio only. You need to convert the file order to move the AVC coding. To do that, you need to export the file as H264 file with passthrough on the video and audio tabs. In the streaming tab make sure it is unchecked.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:13 AM

I've been seeing this issue too much lately. Video file shows OK on timeline/track but is black onscreen. Doing an export results in an all white file. It's a real problem because now I never know if ANY mp4's will work without testing them first.

I've found that my 'problem' files show that 'data size' is 0 bytes (looking at the Quicktime info window), and there is NO 'data rate' info there. That's bad.

And looking at the file in MPEG StreamClip I can see that AVC Coding is used on the video compression.

If I try a simple 'Save As' in QT Pro, an error says: could not be saved, the movie contains an incorrect time value. So something is probably messed up in the metadata/header info. Why is this happening? Is it the AVC coding thing??

The workaround is to Export, select a matching framerate - DO NOT CHOOSE 'CURRENT' FRAMERATE! - and the exported file is fine.

Now I'm wondering why QT Pro doesn't have a 23.98 choice in the framerate pulldown window?? Since my original video is 23.98, I had to choose 'Custom' framerate, but the exported file didn't end up being precise, it came out to 23.981 (Pro Tools told me this when trying to impoert it). So this is still a problem with 23.98 files!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:18 AM

try 23.976 maybe QT will round up to 23.98
Old 10-01-2013, 10:21 PM

I just want to mention that I have also been experiencing these same problems and was able to resolve them by converting them in Quicktime Pro 7 to the same container, codec and frame rate, but limiting the Data rate to 3000 kbit/s. I understand PT has problems running anything over 5000.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
The workaround is to Export, select a matching framerate - DO NOT CHOOSE 'CURRENT' FRAMERATE! - and the exported file is fine.
Thanks for that. This has been bothering me for awhile now. I reported this to Episode about 2 years ago, which they were able to reproduce and fix. But i'm starting to see it a lot again, from other encoders like Adobe Media Encoder. I didn't have a work around other than make them send me a .mov, so Thanks!