How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 02-16-2019, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Plugin Alliance insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Don't let one bad apple ruin the experience. Sure PA is glacially slow at fixing some bugs but remember it's not up to them to fix them but the plugin developer. If you listen to the bungholes at Gearslutz you'd think the PA SSL channel strips were ****e because the metering isn't right (according to them). Personally I don't put stock in a plugin's metering. If the plugin does what I need it to do and the metering is suspect it's nothing I worry about as I use metering plugins I have and trust. Sure it's an extra insert that needs to be tended to but frankly Scarlett I don't give a damn (cue GWTW).
I agree with you about the metering.
I work in post so a flawless automation is essential and equal to the quality of the tools I use. There is no time for workarounds and I know anyone who managed to work without rock solid automation in film mixing industry. Music is different.
I am not oversensitive regarding the DSM2 is not working correctly. I contacted the PA several times, they confirmed its a bug and told me they probably will never gonna fix it...or maybe only at v3 (funny but thats was their response). I smiled and moved on - bought Intensity which works perfectly so far. No crisis, no irritation just not supporting with my wallet the PA anymore. Luckily we have so many great processors now days.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2023.12 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 02-16-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
I agree with you about the metering.

I work in post so a flawless automation is essential and equal to the quality of the tools I use. There is no time for workarounds and I know anyone who managed to work without rock solid automation in film mixing industry. Music is different.

I am not oversensitive regarding the DSM2 is not working correctly. I contacted the PA several times, they confirmed its a bug and told me they probably will never gonna fix it...or maybe only at v3 (funny but thats was their response). I smiled and moved on - bought Intensity which works perfectly so far. No crisis, no irritation just not supporting with my wallet the PA anymore. Luckily we have so many great processors now days.
Curiously the thread title in pretty appropriate here too
Old 02-17-2019, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
I didn't buy anything since November because of the lack of decent offers.

Seems normal service has been resumed. Grab them whilst they are cheap!

I'm even considering going for the $50 voucher. That said, there are no guarantees from Plugin Alliance this will continue. After all, they pulled the December voucher without warning which was a change to the previous offer of a monthly voucher.

Stephen
I’ve been holding off myself, mostly. So many family related expenses since Christmas. I have still yet to replace the drive in my daughter’s computer.

Damn. It never ends. Still, these are killer sales,
Old 02-26-2019, 06:12 AM

So, February is almost ending and since I wasn't sure there was going to be another opportunity to spend my 25 monthly voucher I ended up buying Elysia mpressor for $4. I don't know anything about it and I don't think I really need another compressor, I'm reading and watching all I can now but I would really appreciate if you guys can convince me I made a good purchase (apart from getting an awesome deal of course) that will prove itself useful in the future.
So far it sounds to me as benign as a distressor as it can take a lot of GR without ruining the sound... Or is that me cheering myself up already?
Old 02-26-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
So, February is almost ending and since I wasn't sure there was going to be another opportunity to spend my 25 monthly voucher I ended up buying Elysia mpressor for $4. I don't know anything about it and I don't think I really need another compressor, I'm reading and watching all I can now but I would really appreciate if you guys can convince me I made a good purchase (apart from getting an awesome deal of course) that will prove itself useful in the future.
So far it sounds to me as benign as a distressor as it can take a lot of GR without ruining the sound... Or is that me cheering myself up already?
It's a decent compressor for when you don't need the alpha comp. Have had both for some time now. I only knew about the mpressor sale price when I went to the PA site; didn't get an email notification about it. The current thinking is PA only sends out email notifications with a discount code to those that don't already have whatever plugin is on sale that day.

I used my $50US voucher early on for the Neve channel strip.

QAPLA!
Old 02-26-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
It's a decent compressor for when you don't need the alpha comp. Have had both for some time now. I only knew about the mpressor sale price when I went to the PA site; didn't get an email notification about it. The current thinking is PA only sends out email notifications with a discount code to those that don't already have whatever plugin is on sale that day.

I used my $50US voucher early on for the Neve channel strip.
Thanks Jack, please feel free to tell me more. I didn't know about the alpha comp either!
Old 02-26-2019, 07:34 AM

The Alpha Compressor is one of my favorites as well.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-26-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Thanks Jack, please feel free to tell me more. I didn't know about the alpha comp either!
The alpha comp is my favorite mastering compressor as it's almost impossible to make something sound bad. Gentle compression ratios, flexible internal sidechain adjustments. Mid/side is to die for especially when you unlink the sidechain. I don't detect a specific character with it. Not an inexpensive piece of s/w and it doesn't go on sale all that often. It's possibly the only one of PA's plugins that I'd pay full price for no questions asked.

Demo it and you'll find out why.

QAPLA!
Old 02-26-2019, 10:29 AM

I bought the MPressor even though I had already spent my voucher.

Loads of compressors here but this one is unique. Great for drums and I liked it on the master too when I tried it earlier.

More than useful to have in the toolbox.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 02-26-2019, 03:25 PM

Thanks folks for all the comments! I didn't like it too much on the master bus but it worked great on different instruments (bass, guitars, percussion) and the manual was easier to read than other PA stuff I have so I think it's a keeper, I always enjoy having a gain reduction limiter on a compressor.