Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 05-17-2018, 09:48 PM

Default Midi question

I'm using midi with a drum plugin on pro tools 10.
My problem is when you expand all the way out to see exactly where the note meets the line (bar & beats) in the midi edit window, none of the notes ever meet exactly on the line.
I've tried highlighting all the notes and dragging them with the clipper tool. In grid and clip mode.
I know were talking about the fraction of a millisecond here but I'm a perfectionist and I want all the notes to hit right when they're supposed to.
Does anyone know a solution to this?
Old 05-18-2018, 01:15 AM

Default Re: Midi question

It’s quantise you are looking for (right click on the midi window) and pick the note value that most suits your performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 05-18-2018, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my-name-is-thanos View Post
I'm using midi with a drum plugin on pro tools 10.

My problem is when you expand all the way out to see exactly where the note meets the line (bar & beats) in the midi edit window, none of the notes ever meet exactly on the line.

I've tried highlighting all the notes and dragging them with the clipper tool. In grid and clip mode.

I know were talking about the fraction of a millisecond here but I'm a perfectionist and I want all the notes to hit right when they're supposed to.

Does anyone know a solution to this?

Is your grid mode set to Grid and not possibly Slip, it’s set near top left of screen in edit view

Old 05-18-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hudson View Post
Is your grid mode set to Grid and not possibly Slip, it’s set near top left of screen in edit view

More specifically, GRID mode, not Relative GRID mode for moving notes by hand. Quantize won't care about the selected mode. Having said that, having every note exactly on the grid might be viewed as "perfect" but might not SOUND "perfect"(remember, there is technically perfect, and musically perfect, and sometimes these are not the same).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-18-2018, 12:40 PM

Well once you go to use beat detective I'm sure that dosen't even matter. But you should still be able to put all the notes butt end to the line when you have it zoomed all the way out.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
More specifically, GRID mode, not Relative GRID mode for moving notes by hand. Quantize won't care about the selected mode. Having said that, having every note exactly on the grid might be viewed as "perfect" but might not SOUND "perfect"(remember, there is technically perfect, and musically perfect, and sometimes these are not the same).

Ive always had it in grid. That's not what is causing this. I put it in slip to highlight all of them to use the clipper tool to move them all at the same time. Dosen't work. What does?
Old 05-18-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
It’s quantise you are looking for (right click on the midi window) and pick the note value that most suits your performance.

Right click on the midi window? Where? Open then right click? Pick what note? Could you be a little more specific?
Old 05-18-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post

Right click on the midi window? Where? Pick the note value? Could you be a little more specific?
Old 05-18-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hudson View Post

I'm way passed this. Even in grid and slip. The notes will not butt up to the line. How does it?
Old 05-18-2018, 01:01 PM

Let me be very clear here. Look in the picture. Do you see how the notes don't meet on the line? It's doing this on its own. How do I get all notes in the entire 6 minute long song to meet butt end to their line?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180518_155843.jpg (17.0 KB, 0 views)