Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 12-08-2014, 02:47 PM

Default Problem with single-note MIDI view 11.2.1

Per this excellent tutorial on YouTube, I've been trying to make a simple drum kit matrix in PT11.2.1 (Windows 7 SP1). Basically I have a MIDI track for every sound in the kit, and every track is in single-note MIDI view mode.

It works as expected after I create it. But when I save it and reload it (or save it as a template and create a project from it), there's a problem. When I try to add a note with the pencil tool, the pitch of that note should be whatever the single-note view is set to. But the pencil always adds D3, regardless of the single-view-view setting. When I then click on the note icon to the left (to get the "view" pulldown) and move down the "Single Note View", it shows TWO notes, the note of the single note view (the intended note) and D3.

I've put the problem file here if anyone wants to try it on their system:
yonkitime.com/sounds/Drum_Matrix.ptx

Is this a bug or is my pencil only writing D3 for a reason?
Old 03-10-2015, 10:49 PM
ACI/ALP Moderator

Default Re: Problem with single-note MIDI view 11.2.1

Hey, that's my video! Cool. Anyway, I'm trying to make some headway with this but no luck so far. It's unfortunate that the matrix idea is basically broken in PT11.

-Eric
Old 03-11-2015, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonkiman View Post
Per this excellent tutorial on YouTube, I've been trying to make a simple drum kit matrix in PT11.2.1 (Windows 7 SP1). Basically I have a MIDI track for every sound in the kit, and every track is in single-note MIDI view mode.

It works as expected after I create it. But when I save it and reload it (or save it as a template and create a project from it), there's a problem. When I try to add a note with the pencil tool, the pitch of that note should be whatever the single-note view is set to. But the pencil always adds D3, regardless of the single-view-view setting. When I then click on the note icon to the left (to get the "view" pulldown) and move down the "Single Note View", it shows TWO notes, the note of the single note view (the intended note) and D3.

I've put the problem file here if anyone wants to try it on their system:
yonkitime.com/sounds/Drum_Matrix.ptx

Is this a bug or is my pencil only writing D3 for a reason?
I've never heard of single note view before so this is new to me. But a way around the issue for now is to select all the notes in the track, right click, select event operations, transpose and transpose all notes to the one you want. I wonder if D3 in your case is some kind of default note?

QAPLA!
Old 06-16-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekuehnl View Post
Hey, that's my video! Cool. Anyway, I'm trying to make some headway with this but no luck so far. It's unfortunate that the matrix idea is basically broken in PT11.

-Eric
I just saw this - guess I forgot to subscribe to this thread! You make great videos, Eric - very helpful!

Any chance the matrix idea is basically unbroken in PT12?