Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Protools 8 New look, old look! Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
No, and as we indicated earlier in this thread, we're going to do everything we can to satisfy as many customers as possible regarding the GUI, but we may have some limits as to what can be done.

we'd like to speak to the guy who sets the limits?

is he in a meeting?:mad :

Old 02-10-2009, 07:24 PM

The limits may be that Digi has made a major shift in it's GUI... they are now committed... they can't go back... (read $$$)... at least not until PT 9.

They were obviously going after the Logic Pro crowd, it was a strategic move to hopefully "creatively acquire" Logic users from Apple!

IMO, new users won't be swayed into using Protools 8 just because it now has a darker look.

I use Protools because I have always liked the straight forward approach... but now, I'm not so sure.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockridge View Post
The limits may be that Digi has made a major shift in it's GUI... they are now committed... they can't go back... (read $$$)... at least not until PT 9.
i bought PT8 as soon as it came out....in TRUST.

i'm not sure the above statement is accurate.

it has been discussed in here

that a little coding updating could solve all the remonstration.

it is toxic to be remonstrating .....

the energy needs to be put into our livelihoods especially in these potentially challenging times we are told are ahead.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:42 PM

Enuff Jimi.

We get it!!!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 11:13 PM

I think this is a thread mostly about the "Dislike" of the new look, I certainly haven't read through all the posts, just speaking "My Voice" rather then commenting on another post.

I, like most of you here, have been recording on this platform, from mixing off the 2 Inch Tape into the Incredible, Amazing Sound Tools II NuBus system, to Multi-Tracking into, and Mixing "In the box" (Mostly) on my Current HD Accell Systems.

I HATED OS X when it came out... it "Scared me", But I jumped in, with OS 9 safely by my side for the 1st part of the Journey.

The colors, the GUI, all the CHANGES in 8... quite frankly... Scared me. So, PT 7.4 / Tiger By my side (In the control room, tracking around Clients, and "In the Battle" of the work day") I sneak home at the end of the day, where I've "Jumped in" to PT HD 8 at home... and I've mixed 2 records at home, done a pile of editing, tuning, Post ect... for the last month...

And "I" Love it **Putting flame retardant Jacket on** (As I think this is a "We don't like it thread)

It's color scheme allows me to know exactly what track Is what, at an instant glance, the "Saved Window Configurations" in each session are a godsend, the Midi editing window...

I've been staring at a Pro-Tools screen for 20 years, yes the Automation lines are a little thinner, there are some elements that take "Getting used to... but I love the richer colors, as someone who works in pro-tools easily 10 -12 hours a day, I feel less fatigued. (Maybe it's the Placebo effect??)

If I have one "Wish" or change... I love the deeper colored Wav / regions... BUT when you "Select Them", they should have been made "More Pale / colorless"

Seeing "Your selected regions" against the other "Richly colored regions" the Selection doesn't stand out any more, the "Darker Blue Selection" isn't cutting it anymore with the new color scheme.

Fix that one thing alone... and Pro-Tools is perfect, by my "New Standards" as I lean less and less on my old friend 7.4, I'll be considering the PT 8 upgrade for the Control room, if the old G5 can handle it (But that's a different thread.... a few of them actually)

Beautiful new Pro tools Digidesign, Thanks. Beats the hell out of SoundTools II, I'm giving it the "I like it - thumbs up"

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 02-12-2009, 12:09 AM

Thumbs up

Spot on David...
Old 02-12-2009, 02:22 AM

Very well written, David

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFish View Post
And "I" Love it **Putting flame retardant Jacket on** (As I think this is a "We don't like it thread)

It's color scheme allows me to know exactly what track Is what, at an instant glance....
+1

Quote:

I've been staring at a Pro-Tools screen for 20 years, yes the Automation lines are a little thinner, there are some elements that take "Getting used to... but I love the richer colors, as someone who works in pro-tools easily 10 -12 hours a day, I feel less fatigued. (Maybe it's the Placebo effect??)

Beautiful new Pro tools Digidesign, Thanks. Beats the hell out of SoundTools II, I'm giving it the "I like it - thumbs up"
Absolutely, that´s exactly what I´ve experienced, and I don´t think it´s Placebo.

Quote:
.....the "Saved Window Configurations" in each session are a godsend...
Am I missing something or haven´t we had this since 7.3?

I admit, the fact that some buttons (like the process button in AS Plugins etc.) are in different places, is a little confusing, but nothing you wouldn´t get used to after a few days.

Cheers,

Martin

http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/index2.html
http://www.pelhamundhaas.de/vita.html
www.3-p.de
www.imglashaus.de
Old 02-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Avid

Quote:
They were obviously going after the Logic Pro crowd, it was a strategic move to hopefully "creatively acquire" Logic users from Apple!
That was not the entire motive - the GUI was changed to conform to standards in Leopard and Vista and prepare for future OS versions as well as 'update' it to something more modern looking.

Quote:
IMO, new users won't be swayed into using Protools 8 just because it now has a darker look.
I don't know how much credit you're giving us if you think anyone here actually thought that a mere GUI change would have Logic users coming over in droves.

Can we bring this thread to a close by letting everyone know, again, that we are going to do all we can to accommodate the wishes expressed in this thread. The 'limits' I'm referring to are imposed by resources and how the new GUI code works and are not being arbitrarily set by someone.

Thanks to everyone who gave their feedback on this - we want to 'do you right' and, hopefully, we'll be able to satisfy most of your requests.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Can we bring this thread to a close by letting everyone know, again, that we are going to do all we can to accommodate the wishes expressed in this thread. The 'limits' I'm referring to are imposed by resources and how the new GUI code works and are not being arbitrarily set by someone.

Thanks to everyone who gave their feedback on this - we want to 'do you right' and, hopefully, we'll be able to satisfy most of your requests.
Please bring this to a close. I think everyone with an opinion has said it here.

Denis

Mac Pro 3.3 hexacore
24 gb RAM
Lion
PT 10 HD Native
Old 02-12-2009, 09:03 AM

"If I have one "Wish" or change... I love the deeper colored Wav / regions... BUT when you "Select Them", they should have been made "More Pale / colorless"

Seeing "Your selected regions" against the other "Richly colored regions" the Selection doesn't stand out any more, the "Darker Blue Selection" isn't cutting it anymore with the new color scheme."

i could not agree more with this comment....
Closed Thread