Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-1998, 08:26 AM

Default NuBus support with 2.1

Will 2.1 run on a NuBus ProTools system?

I know 1.4.1 was released for NuBus systems But am interested in the new Yamaha burner that will be supported by 2.1

In the other Thread, it is stated that there is support for PCI for output will the NuBus systems have to use the MAC output?
Old 08-29-1998, 12:08 AM

Default Re: NuBus support with 2.1

Tech Support?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿
Old 08-29-1998, 11:40 PM
Avid

The new version of MLCD 2.1 is PCI mac only and will not work on a NuBus mac. You would not be able to use MLCD with the Yamaha CDRW 4260 that is supported in 2.1 on a NuBus machine. You could use Jam, however, which only requires a 68020 mac.
-Bruce-
Old 08-30-1998, 09:04 AM

I'm increasingly concerned that Digi is abandoning support for NuBus systems - eg MLCD 2.1.
Since I regularly use SDII with plug-ins I do not wish to upgrade to PCI, and PT does not yet adequately replace SDII.
Surely it would not be a major task to provide NuBus MLCD upgrades to support new burners?
Old 08-30-1998, 05:51 PM

Funny, My 2 inch machine is still supported by all 2 inch 24 tracks.
Old 08-31-1998, 12:04 AM
Avid

Digidesign has supported NuBus for years after everyone stopped making NuBus macs and we stopped making NuBus hardware. That is not likely to continue forever, though. The current Pro Tools 4.2 is likely to be the last version to support NuBus PowerMacs. It is "a major task to provide NuBus MLCD upgrades to support new burners." Because of the structure of MLCD, it would require a separate application.
Rather than hoping for support that is not going to be available in the future, you would be well advised to get a burner that will work with your NuBus system if you want to use MLCD with it, such as the Yamaha CDR 400, while they are still available. otherwise, you will reach a pont where you will be unable to add anything new to your older system. There's nothing wrong with staying with your investment in your NuBus system, but its unrealistic to expect to always be able to add next years technology to last year's. (or older)
-Bruce-
Old 09-03-1998, 07:58 AM

Would DigiDesign be willing to contract out modifications to MLCD and/or SDII? I have lots of years of programming experience. And there seems to be lots of interest in continued changes/enhancements to these NuBus products. I would be willing to consider a royalty split in lieu of contract programming rates.
Old 09-04-1998, 04:54 PM

I bought my NuBus PTIII system new just over 2 years ago so it is hardly stone-age technology! I had to wait at least 6 months to buy a CD writer until MLCDv1.4 appeared, as no previously supported writers were obtainable.
If my present writer fails in the future, it seems likely I won't be able to replace it!
Whatever the structure of MLCD, it seems to me the matter of burner support is not being efficiently addressed. Why not use separate drivers?
I don't want PCI as I use SDII a great deal with plug-ins. Maybe when PT really does replace SDII's editing capabilities I'll make the upgrade, but not till then!
Old 09-05-1998, 09:56 AM

Toast and JAM support all sorts of CD-Rs and all platforms of MAC?

What Gives Digi doesn't have qualified engineers to hanle a small task?

Good point, if I buy a Yamaha 400t and a year goes by and craps out what do I do?

I paid $800.00 for Master list CD Now I have to by JAM?

Can I get my Money back please!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-1998, 05:49 PM

FWIW, PCI was with us "just over two years ago"....wasn't a great time to invest in nubus hardware..

As a consumer I sympathize with dwindling nubus support. But this is how the computer industry works. It's not like 2" analog tape, folks, so that comparison is right out, IMHO.

But the idea of farming out updates is an interesting one....if Digi won't do it, maybe someone will...but who? It's quite complicated code. I can imagine the legalities involved...

Sure, I'm frustrated too. 4.2 is the end of the line for PPC/Nubus PT systems. And there are bugs in 4.2 that I hope get addressed in a "4.2.1" or something. I can't realistically expect new features for nubus systems, but I hope Digi can do some bug fixing for 4.2/nubus.

DC