Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 12:48 PM

Default Time stretch and Pitch Shift

What is the best plugin.. Rtas, audiosuite or tdm to use for Time stretch and Pitch Shift? Iv always used logics which sound the best and wondering what is the best for vocals ect to change Tempo without pitch or change pitch without tempo? thx..:)
Old 12-30-2004, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Time stretch and Pitch Shift

Serato Pitch & Time
Old 12-30-2004, 02:11 PM

thx..:)
Old 12-30-2004, 02:29 PM

I second that.

Though Digi's TCE tool isn't bad alot of the time as well...

You can choose to have either function as your default TCE tool in prefs...
Old 12-30-2004, 03:20 PM

Waves Soundshifter Audiosuite does a nice job as well. Though I must qualify that I typically do time shortening, rather than lengthening, and sound effects, not music.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:21 PM

I like Pitch n Time, but for mono tracks the Waves sounds better.

STeve
Old 12-30-2004, 06:07 PM

Each program has strength and weaknesses, depending on the source material and what you are trying to achieve. I have tried P'n'T, but had better results with Waves on my work. Why not download the demos and try it for yourself?
Old 12-30-2004, 07:16 PM

I wholeheartedly disagree with most of you guys, I recently downloaded a demo of pitch n' time 2.2 thinking that it would work out fine and used it on vocals doing very small time compression changes (far below 15%) and there was so much aliasing I thought I was living back in 1998 (with Protools 4.3), hey it's cool if you're looking for that effect but usually this type of aliasing comes from time expansion!!! The old version of Serato (on my Mix Plus) was much cleaner except for the fact that it would change the level of the output and sometimes distort. The functionality of the newer version seems to be better (with output control) but ultimately the result sucks. I used the digirack version of Time Compression and it was soooooo much cleaner, I was shocked at the difference and was very pleased that Digi stepped up on this audiosuite, even the output level was consistant. BTW, I'm was using the 002 in this case. I have'nt used the Waves version yet but it's gotta be far better than Serato. Do a comparison and take a closer listen to the the difference and you'll hear what I'm talking about...I'm glad I did'nt buy the Pitch n'Time cause personally I would've been pissed buying a product that has regressed so much...it's rather unfortunate really because I would expect Serato to put out a product that is at least as good as it's predecessor. The upside is that I only used the Time Compression function and not the Pitch function so there is hope in the pitch department...

Happy New Year y'all.

RS
Old 12-30-2004, 09:50 PM

Pitch n Time seems to work best with music, while digidesign's default Time Compression works better on vocals.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Pitch n Time seems to work best with music, while digidesign's default Time Compression works better on vocals.
After way too many hours in the trenches doing this kinda stuff, I completely agree with this. I have to add VocAlign Project to the list — better at stretching than compressing (IMO), but for manipulating phrases or individual words, or for quick-synching BGVs it's incredible... some artifacts from time to time but like anything, a little experimentation goes a long way. (hint: duplicate the playlist so you can always get back to the original audio — sorry if this is too much info!)

Warmest Regards,
Brian